Swift Flatbed Division... ?!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RedRover, Oct 8, 2016.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    They're not and we were all new at one time, the thing I think most of the "regulars" have in common is we "eased" into it. I remember when I first got active there were post I wanted to debate that I thought I better not, now I could without much trouble. That being said it seems like the majority show up post a few obnoxious posts then disappear.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I have had a home time request, legitimately since the day I upgraded to solo, to see my son in Southern California. Wouldnt you know it, California stopped buying things. Apparently the produce more than just liberals and debt now though, but they only send it to the east coast lol

Airborne and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Almost all the loads they send me are late pickup live load and live unload. Hell they sent me a live load, live driver unload Dollar Tree the other day. 150 bucks just for throwing on some gloves and grabbing a pallet jack. I guess too many fat owner ops didn't need 150 bucks and 30 minutes of exercise. I'll take those every time. Beats tarping and chaining for 25 bucks or whatever in the cold lol

5. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I got in trouble when I was a young stupid kid of a man. As such, no company would provide training and I was in a dead end job that wouldn't pay for a private cdl school. Swift took that chance and I am grateful for it. I'm going to complete my contract even if I only made 30k this year, because it's the right thing to do. Now that I have my cdl, I do have many more options than I did a few months ago. Right now, I am a platinum driver for Swift. I'm making .42 per mile with less than a month solo. I'm just stuck in a bad lane for freight and trying to get myself out of it. A lot of people call Swift a starter company, but I am increasingly discovering people who have worked here for years and are doing just fine.

Right now I'm in a steep learning process. I don't know what I don't know, that's how little I know. Working for Landstar, i would be bankrupt inside two months, because I don't manage my clock that well yet, and I don't know the best lanes.

That is the type of arrangement that I hope to have though, is owning a truck and choosing my freight. I'm not ready to make negative settlements just yet though.

6. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    That all being said @cnsper had a good point earlier that's worth rereading.

Airborne, RedRover and MJ1657 Thank this.
  7. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    The point about working my way up, paying dues and earning it the hard way? That's what I thought I was doing by asking for loads, even if it was a load nobody else wanted to New York or Chicago. I've also repeatedly asked for loads that would take me over Donner, Grape Vine, etc when they are at their worst and none of the owner ops want to risk it or burn the fuel for days parked. I want to run and I want to get experience that can only be gained by running. To pay those dues as has been said, I need to be able to actually pay them. I'm a platinum driver specifically because I'm running my ### off from the time they drop a load on me, until I deliver it a day early.

If that's not paying dues, maybe I'm misunderstanding what his advice actually was. Is it running hard, or is it sitting on my ### and loving not doing anything?

I'm not an owner op staring at a load board and doing a cost benefit analysis and making a business decision to wait it out for a higher paying load. I'm a company driver looking to take any type of freight to a certain place on time and then do it again.

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The issue that I had was your demanding attitude with the office staff. Not an issue with you wanting to work. You think they are idiots and guess what? They think the same of you.

Like I said, if you treated office staff the same way you posted that you did, you would be out on your arse.

You are the face of the company or art of it. How you treat others within the company is an indication of how you will treat a customer in times of stress or anger. Demands and ultimatums never go over well, especially for a new driver.

9. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Exactly ^ your a dime a dozen to them.

10. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm afraid he doesn't get it.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It's sort of like going from a high school football player to a college team. You made the team, but for some reason, Coach won't give you much playing time. You're training really hard and putting forth your best efforts in practice, but game time, it's back on the sidelines. What do you do...start an argument with Coach?

I remember being at a port in New Orleans to pick up a load. The load wound up being 18 ft wide. I had been off the truck for a few years and had to start all the way back over. They took the load from me. Trailer and all. I understood. I was new. They're not going to throw me the ball in an important game when I am new. It's part of the game. I took the securement off and bobtailed to Houston.

YES, I WAS PISSED.

Didn't say a word. Just went on to the next assignment. Took a load out to California. Was waiting for a load on our yard with 20 other drivers. They had a bunch of rgn loads coming out of long beach. I wanted one. They gave everyone else an Rgn load but me. I had to grab a flat and go to Compton and get a load of shingles.

YES, I WAS PISSED. Didn't say a word.

Was in the office one day, and I heard my dispatcher talking to a member of management. "He's a machine. He never calls in, never complains, he just keeps hammering in loads." Then he points at me as I am walking up, "That's him there." I felt like @skootertrashr6! Great....

"Why didn't you complain, Six? Don't you know that the squeaky wheel gets oiled?"

Yes, I do. But I am a team player. As long as I was on the team and the team was having winning seasons, I would not complain. I would do my best. I didn't have to be the star player. It's when we started losing more than we won when I started complaining. And they want to talk to me about safety and hold my hand? Not happening, Hoss.

"So Six, what did you do when your travel agent wasn't fast enough to keep you moving?"

Same thing I do now...go to the truckstop restaurant, sit at the lunch counter and wait for someone to lie to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.