Swift Flatbed Division... ?!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RedRover, Oct 8, 2016.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I started with a small company that gave me a lot of chances to do thing I probably shouldn't have been doing but my boss said I could handle it (years later I talked to him about that and the risks involved and he said he knew after the first week I worked for him I could handle it). I went to work for a MUCH bigger company, I pulled a lowboy most of the time but every time we moved a big crane or excavator, or dozer I was on a step pulling parts, I knew (or at least I thought) I could handle the big load. However I didn't complain publicly, I watched, I learned, I asked questions, I swung a hammer and I hooked rigging. I didn't notice it a the time but he always put me on the last parts load, usually the tracks or tires and outrigger boxes on an RT for example. My boss (a former good lowboy driver himself) would always tell me to stay and give the driver a hand chaining and stay with him in case he needed help along the way. There was 3 drivers that handled all the big loads and they were sharp, I would follow them into scale houses, Cat scales, getting parked for the night whatever they needed. After a couple years (which is an eternity to a 23 year old) I started to get the easier "big" loads, I started pulling a beam with smaller loads, and running around with my stinger in then without noticing I was moving everything and I would even get the "this is going to be tricky so I want you to do it" speech. It might sound like bragging but I'm not, I payed my dues and I'm proud of what I can do and the knowledge I've acquired. I've been known to step up to the boss and voice my opinion in opposition to something I disagree with but there was a time I was a quiet as a church mouse and dragging a load of crap behind me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    "He that is diligent in what is least will be diligent in what is great."

Along the way, he learns patience and self control.

4. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I get it. I do. 5 years from now, if I was still working for Swift and talked to the same office staff every single day... They still wouldn't know who the #### I am. I get the premise, but we are talking about something completely different in terms of likelihood that I'm going to work myself into them knowing who I am lol

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Two things come to mind,

First you'd be surprised who ends up were and who will remember you, five or ten years from now that dispatcher you talked rude to might be the transportation manager at your dream company and when you walk in that office for an interview your gonna say holy crap!

Second and most important it's just unprofessional and not the way to treat people.

Airborne, CharlieK, TripleSix and 9 others Thank this.
  6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    And for some holding the tagline is above their pay grade.

7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    I'd rather tarp

Lepton1, FerrissWheel, MJ1657 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes it is.

FerrissWheel, MJ1657 and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  9. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Maybe not with the average Swift staff. But my DM, My planner, and even one other DM in Phoenix know me. Don't know if they put you in division 001 or not, but those guys will remember you if you build your reputation (be it good or bad.)

MJ1657, passingthru69 and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.