Swift Flatbed Training question

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ∆_Dan_∆, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ∆_Dan_∆

∆_Dan_∆ Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Niagara Falls, NY
    I will start off, by saying that TMC is/was my first choice, but a few surprise financial issues, are now leading me to consider company paid cdl training. Despite the many naysayers, I know enough Swift drivers, personally, to know that Swift is the company I will pursue this path with. I know that in this industry, it is my attitude, and my work ethic that will help me succeed, despite what the "big evil company" does to thwart my plans, of providing a reasonably comfortable life for my family.

I live in West Columbia, SC, about 1hr30min South of Greer, SC. I know that a recruiter can answer most of my questions, but I prefer to hear it from the drivers, since you are the ones actually living this life. I assume that I would attend the regular Swift academy in Tennessee, or Virginia.

For the load securement, and other specialized training, would I go to Greer, or Phoenix?
    What is the pay structure for the Swift flatbed division. cpm, tarping pay, extra drop, etc.?
    How is the hometime?
    Would I be allowed to bring my truck home, or park at Greer, and drive my car home?
    Are the routes mainly regional? I have read that it is mostly a dedicated run.

Thanks for any information, and stay safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rick)Rox

Rick)Rox Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    I believe that theres only 2 classes for load securment. Gary, IN and Phoenix. You should be able to take your truck home as long as you have room and a safe place to park it. Home time is usually 3 weeks out and a few days at home. Depending on your DM maybe add a week lol. I donno the cpm but you do get tarp pay and extra stops.

∆_Dan_∆ Thanks this.
  4. ∆_Dan_∆

Dec 2, 2015
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Dang, I was hoping that they did training in Greer, so my wife could come up and visit. Oh well. She will just have to wait, lol. She was raised in a trucking family, so she understands how things work. Any idea of average miles per load?

5. Rick)Rox

Rick)Rox Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    There could be one in Greer but I've never been there so I can't say lol. I'd say average was about 800ish is average length of load.

6. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I did Swift flatbed for 7 months and I can tell you anything you want to know. I took my securement class at the Phoenix terminal. Basically you learn how to chain down coils, RV chassis, promaster vans, pipe loads, trailer stacks, etc, as well as how to fold tarps and use them. Some class room time also to learn about the weights and various laws. Greer might have the course, "Rudy" is the guy who handles all the FB stuff at Greer. Greer is a small terminal and was always a parking nightmare every time I found myself close to it.

When I quit I was getting .46 CPM with

7. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    When I quit I was getting .46 CPM with one year and three months exp. You will start off one cent more than a dry van driver makes when you go into flatbed. Not sure what the current pay scale is with Swift though. If a dry van guy gets .37 CPM to start, you will get .38 CPM, as an example. Tarp pay is $30 and you have to tarp every coil every time. You also get chain pay, which if I remember correctly is $8 per load. You do get stop pay, I think it was $15 per stop, but don't quote me exactly on that. I uploaded my checks to Google Drive and am not looking at them as I type this.

Hometime is always interesting, as everytime I requested it they always got me home at least a day late. Learn to plan around it and it should be alright though. I would usually deadhead home to a local small town truckstop and just park there. You can always park your personal vehicle at Greer, be out on the road, take home time and park the truck at Greer.

Being homebased near Greer ensures that you will be doing a lot of RV chassis runs up to Northern Indiana and Michigan. Which is about 700 miles and a lot of chaining in the hot and humid South Carolina summers. Your return trip is usually a steel coil, which will take you to North Carolina, South Carolina or Laredo, TX. They call this "the triangle" in Swift speak. You will also pull dry vans if you end up in an area that doesn't have a flatbed load, so expect that.
    If you have any more questions let me know.

Benny Swift, kiwi23 and ∆_Dan_∆ Thank this.
  8. ∆_Dan_∆

Dec 2, 2015
    Niagara Falls, NY
    My family is up in Michigan, so that could work out well, to schedule a 34, for a nice little visit.

I like the idea, that we will be kept running with a dry van load, too. I did not realize that Swift ran flatbed until recently when I saw one near where I live. Very nice tarps. While I love the black and chrome, I think that this may be a better fit, to start with, for my first year or two. Of course, if I like it enough I may even stick around. One friend runs GP dedicated, and has done it for 5 years, and he loves it.

Thanks for the information, if any other questions pop up, I will definitely ask.

9. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    There is another dedicated flatbed account out of greer/gaffney running school bus chassis between the freightliner plant in gaffney, and the Thomas school bus plant in high point NC. You do 2 runs per day and if traffic is kind to you, you get home every night. I quit a little over a year ago making 47cpm after bonus and liked the job a lot. I was with swift fb for over 2 years. But I would not work for them if they put a driver facing camera in my truck. Perhaps a current swift driver can clarify what's going on with the camera situation.

10. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Im at Springfields C1 school heading to regional flatbed...midwest. Is there a securement/tarping class first? I thought i was just going to be thrown out with mentor. Im wondering when i get my stretched chassis tractor if it will be one of those new/newer ones. I seen they have a ton of new ones sitting out there. I'd even prefer a color other than white if i could choose.

11. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's been a couple years since i worked for swift but when I was there, the procedure for new drivers was a securement class first, then a mentor, then another securement class, then your own truck. As far as trucks you will get what you get, new trucks typically going to drivers based on seniority, and older trucks going to new drivers. If they are short on flatbed mentors you could spend your first 100 hours with a van mentor. Could be bad or could be good. I had a van mentor and he was awesome. You will love Midwest flatbed, it's the best place to run flat for swift.

superscooter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.