Swift Flatbed Training question

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ∆_Dan_∆, Jan 10, 2016.

1. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

KC is going to be my hub i guess, i live about 2hrs away. My recruiter isnt saying much ( go figure). I had to ask if i even HAVE a securement class. She said "yes"...but that's about all. I'm wondering if i have orientation at KC? Is my securement class there...or do i have to go elsewhere? I wondered if orientation in KC...then maybe have to go out to Salt Lake city for class.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

I heard they have a ton of new tractors out at Salt Lake city...including stretched chassis flatbed ones. They are really pushing the newer autos out. I think the ones from the last few years were auto as well.

4. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I worked there all new flatbed trucks were out of phoenix because that is the only terminal that would install headache racks and boxes. And we were routed through phoenix to pick them up, or they were delivered to us if we were regional/dedicated. They might have changed that and are now staging new trucks all over the place. And KC was not a flatbed terminal either when I worked for swift. The only terminals doing securement were phx, gary, and greer. So again unless they changed something, you will be sent to one of these terminals for class.

And this is very important. Recruiters don't know #### about the flatbed division, you need to make sure you get in touch with the FB department before you get set up on the wrong fleet and in the wrong orientation class. Call 800-800-FLAT and make sure you talk to a flatbed driver manager. Better yet ask to speak with Chris morgan, brett Stewart, or Ray pederson. And if your call gets routed to Gary, talk to Ed freeman.

superscooter Thanks this.
  5. kenobi

kenobi Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Richmond, California

6. kenobi

kenobi Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Richmond, California
    I am starting out with Swift in Fontana with CA license permit etc... Told recruiter would like to do flatbed but need to do hometime near Albany, NY as I got family and young ones there. He said flatbed likely wouldn't get me there with regularity, better to do dry van. This true? I plan on staying out 4-6 weeks at a time but need to make sure Albany is my home base not Cali.

7. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas

Call the numbers for the flatbed division that Plant posted above. They can tell you for sure.

By the way, with Swift it doesn't matter what terminal you run out of, you can request hometime anywhere in the lower 48 states.

8. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is correct. Flatbed doesn't pull much spot freight so you're generally always going to the same places. And NY is not one of those places. The only thing I remember bringing there were truck lift gates, they go to Rome NY. But those loads were super rare, and they are out of San Diego and have 4-5 stops before NY, not a very good go home load. I would not work for swift FB if I wanted to do home time in NY more than once every 6 months. TMC and Melton have stong fleets in the northeast.

9. kenobi

kenobi Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Richmond, California
    oh great thanks for confirmation.
    Almost got with TMC but Cali or Albany zip not in their hiring areas.
    Melton was very first to call but need cdl first.
    Will likely just do dry van reefer for first year to get feet wet then switch over to flatbed

10. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea you could do that or just go to melton as soon as you get your CDL. You are under no obligation to work for swift after attending their academy, you just need to pay back your tuition, which melton will reimburse. Up to you.

11. kenobi

kenobi Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Richmond, California
    I've heard of that but thought it might look bad on employment. Is it common practice with Swift or other newbie companies?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.