Swift Flatbed Training question

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ∆_Dan_∆, Jan 10, 2016.

1. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Didn't know they reimburse like that. I'm at a Swift paid for school right now,...but it's about $5k. Not sure if Melton or any company would pay THAT much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well you aren't employed by swift during the academy so it would have no consequence on your employment history. Not trying to talk you into doing that, just giving you options if you want to do flatbed. I really liked swift flatbed and recommend it, but I would rather work for melton than swift van/reefer.

Might not be the full amount but it takes 2 years for a full reimbursement at swift anyway, and the amount of drivers who make it a full 2 years at swift has got to be a single digit percentage.

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I think Melton pays that but it might only be $4k. Definitely no less than $4k, either way you'll easily make over $1k more at Melton than you would at Swift plus much better equipment, APU's, and management that actually answers the phone with no hold time. You won't be getting that at Swift I can promise you that.

5. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    @superscooter is going to swift flatbed and I would put them at or above melton any day of the week. We didn't have APUs but flatbed is much more lenient with idling. I never had a problem and would often idle for the entirety of my 34. And the office staff in the flatbed division are great people. Remember there are less swift flatbedders than there are melton flatbedders, so even though it's swift, you do get a personal feel.

Now the swift van division on the other hand, I would go with melton.

6. CasanovaCruiser

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I've worked for both and know what you're talking about. Never had any problems with Swift's flatbed division directly. Honestly I think it's the only saving grace of that company as they're all good people.
    However no matter what division you're in there are parts of that company that are just too "swift" to ignore.
    For instance:
    Being on hold with breakdown for 3+ hours.
    Fighting with payroll over reimbursements.
    Speed violations for rolling down hills.
    The general quality of your fellow driver.
    Waiting around at terminal shops for a simple service.
    NO inverter policy (seriously, Melton gives you a fridge and a 1500 watt inverter)
    Just basic driver support.
    Equipment/maintenance in general
    Forced routing/fuel stops (being on hold with Swifts fuel dep if you needed an OOR fill up)

All these things are never a problem at Melton and I never really saw them as a problem until Melton spoiled me like they did. Got a problem, one phone call and it's handled, even safety is pretty darn friendly about things.

When everything goes as it should every company is pretty great to work for, it's how they handle things that go wrong where they truly shine and show how they take care of drivers. Melton will even pay for your showers, I know that's small but I love it for the mom and pop truck stops.

Not to mention the pay is much better and rolling 65 instead of 62 is nice too

On a positive note, I do miss the triangle. That was a really fun lane to be in and the consistency was nice.

I wouldn't go so far to tell someone not to go to Swift but I'll always tell them to go with Melton instead if they can.

7. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good info. I never drove for melton so I will defer to your experience. And your comment about being on hold gave me flashbacks to the chrysler rollback line lol. But those are gravy loads so waiting on hold is worth it.

In my experience i was treated very well by chris morgan, brett Stewart, and the whole crew over there, our pay was a bit better than melton at the time I quit (with platinum status anyway), we had gravy triangle loads, and I really liked how the trucks were set up as far as the huge enclosed headaches and boxes. Really can't think of much if anything to complain about. But again since you have driven for both companies, I would not argue with you if you say melton is better.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    It's all about what works for you.
    Personally I gave up consistent lanes with easy freight for better equipment and less hold time lol
    Some people might value Swifts lanes over all of that. I REALLY do miss that triangle sometimes...

9. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep and being from Indiana you probably had to deal with hobo santa clause (Perry). But maybe you got along with him, I didn't.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  10. kenobi

kenobi Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Richmond, California
    Good info to know. Now I really want to do swift flatbed. Will give those guys a call on Monday and see if NY home time is possible even with a van load. Swift and Melton were only companies that didn't have issue with my spotty employment history. All others wanted w2 or 1099. If swift pulls thru and gives me a chance I'll likely do van for year get feet wet then switch over to flatbed

11. CasanovaCruiser

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I got along with him but probably only because he was so distracted by another driver doing securement with me. This guy was pretty dense and Perry didn't hold back at all. Honestly it was pretty funny haha

They'll give you a van load to keep you moving/get you home. Not sure if they'll let you do flatbed though because the closest home terminal available to you would be Gary. You could always try though but you'll be domiciled very far away from your house. Not that that really matters for much.

plant Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.