Swift has driver arrested.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Owner's Operator, Sep 3, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Grade School?!
    ShuX HowdY!

I weren't introduced to adult beverages 'till Jr. High School, -----
    And there, they took me straight to hard liquor.
    Bypassed beer and wine all together.
    Told me ALL about things I was not interested in,
    prior to their perkin' my interest, ..... then.
    Prior to that, I had never considered experimenting with alcohol.
    But Jr. High School changed all that.
    YuP!

Education!
    A mind is a terrible thang to waste. :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    DUI, DWI are acronyms, the first letter of which stands for DRIVING. I fail to see the parallel between DRIVING and SLEEPING. This is a distinction that has been written out of the law by overzealous court opinions based almost entirely on 4 wheeler cases not sleepers. Why should it be different for trucks? Because trucks are not cars, they are homes when parked. Even the least experienced LEO knows that a sleeper with a driver relaxing in the sleeper is not a vehicle being DRIVEN under the influence. It's a piss poor judgment call by the LEO and all to common.

This is of course assuming the thread starter was not sitting in the driver seat with the truck running when the LEO approached. I never understood the crusade to turn the screws and rail every possible person with a DUI. What really makes no sense is when someone is trying to sleep it off rather than drive and they get a DUI. How in the hell is that helping to achieve the goal of reducing drunk driving? All it does is encourage people to get home when they are drunk because sleeping it off in their vehicle is just as likely to net them a DUI as actually driving.

Believe it or not, I'm not a drinker, I just have a zero tolerance policy towards overbearing laws.

4. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    Bottom line is the individual whom this thread is about violated company policy that is clearly presented in orientation.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  5. vickw

vickw Light Load Member

May 10, 2007
    Edwardsville, KS
    First and foremost, it is illegal to be under the influence in a vehicle, with easy access to the keys. If you dont like the law, then fight to change it, but in the meantime, you have to follow it. The catch 22 on that law is keys in vehicle, that is why most people who imbibe to much and go to sleep it off in their vehicle, put the keys under their vehicle or wheel well.

Second, it is against company policy, which lead to the police searching a Commercial Vehicle and its occupent. If booze was found inside, that is also against the law. It can only be in a trailer, with a bol/manifest.

Bottom line, know the law, and company policy. This post is a classic example of someone not accepting responsibility for their actions, and blaming someone else for it. He is probably in the unemployment line begging for your and my money because of how he was fired, and prosecuted due to his poor decisions, but it was not his fault, it was yours somehow.

I also do not agree with the fact that police arrest people for sleeping it off, and playing it safe by not driving. However, I do think commercial vehicle drivers need to be held to higher standards. For the person that said their judgement is not impaired, that is absolutely not true. You may not think it's impaired, but others who are sober will say otherwise. Even if its just a quick drive to the store for smokes 2 blocks over, or those beer goggles, at one time or another we have all had impaired judgement.

Wes

oldcornbinder, pawpaw and AfterShock Thank this.
  6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Thar ya go, folks!

Learn it
    Live it
    Love it.

As CDL-A License holders, we're classified as
    PROFESSIONAL Drivers.
    And, IMO, that's what we NEED to be. :yes2557:

ThanX, Wes. :salute:

7. debo23

debo23 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2009
    somewhere
    Being a swift driver myself, I have to say he had to be an idiot. They tell us the policy beforehand. He's the reason alot of us get a bad name on the road. Not all swift drivers are that stupid and some of us do know how to drive. I drove a daycab for 6yrs and had to go otr b/c of layoffs. So not all swift drivers are students or certified "stupid". Just had to jump at the first thing going to keep the funds coming in. But I do see where the rep comes into play

8. flannel

flannel Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Wayne MI
    You can drink in a limo a conversion van In the back not in the driver seat Hmmm but not in a semi? I've read the ripoff report he did not drink moderitly he was drunk! if he was not drunk the officer would of said good night and that would of been it so if he drank just a 40oz bud then called it a night he would still have a job Just my TWO CENTS

9. Blackjack55

Blackjack55 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    What if you are drinking in your truck,off duty and some other driver hits your truck? The police will be involved at some point. its just not worth it.

10. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    If one were to chug 8 beers at the start of the 10 hr break, they would still be above 0.0 when the break ended

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They used to provide sufficeint training to be able to determine roughly what the BAC is and how much time by weight and metabolism to self decide when sober to drive again within 10 hour break. That meant a certain amount of fluid ounces and no more than that. I recall two shot glasses full was plenty for me. I don't need or want to drink drink drink drink drink. There is enough of that back then on the bad roads.

88228822 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.