Swift Intermodal? (Chicago)

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by SlantSix, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SlantSix

SlantSix Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Chicago
    Forum:

My apologies if this thread is redundant. None of the threads I found on google really answered the questions I have. I have been driving OTR for about 6 months now. 4 of these were with Swift, I jumped ship at England beforehand. Things have been going fairly smooth at Swift and I want to stick it out with them for at least a year. I am a born and raised Chicagoan(south sider). I really like trucking, but really just got my CDL because I want to work for the railroad and do track, railcar, or signal repair.

Anyway I may have a kid on the way and I want to take some welding classes to help bolster my resume. So I am looking to be home more and have a fairly consistent schedule. I have been tempted to just find whatever local craigslist gig will take me, but would rather just stick it out with Swift. When I go on home time, I usually leave my reefer van at the intermodal terminal in Pilsen for the weekend and bobtail to my parents' house. I haven't gotten much of a chance to talk to any of the daycab drivers I see in passing there yet, usually just the security guard.

But Anyway! Is it difficult to transfer over to that division? Will they take someone with my experience? I occasionally see Swift post ads on Craigslist for intermodal and dedicated runs out of Chicago. Any advice and experiences would be appreciated. Schedule? Pay? My backing is fair. I am comfortable with a manual or automatic, although for lots of backing I'd prefer a manual. They have me in an older 8/9 speed freightliner at the moment. Being a native Chicagoan and a lifelong railfan, I am very familiar with the territory and already know where all the yards are(47th, 59th, Englewood, Corwith, Clyde, Landers, all the UP Globals, Bedford Park, Homewood/Markham, etc.) My girlfriend and I are even looking at apartments right now within walking distance of the Swift IM terminal.

Thanks
    -SlantSix

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Apply and see what happens.

ChicagoJohn and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    My thoughts were the same. The only way to find out is to talk to the powers that be.

5. GetonwithiT

GetonwithiT Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.