swift or schneider

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by braves2014, Aug 30, 2014.

1. braves2014

braves2014 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I am thinking about taking a job with swift or schneider doing intermodal here in the atlanta area swift is local and schneider is regional trying to decide which company is best. Could anyone shed any information about intermodal with these companys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    You've got 21 years experience and you're looking for info on Swift and Schneider?

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  4. braves2014

Aug 30, 2014
    yes I was with ups for 21 yrs got fired. Now looking into something else never just looking for some information #### happens life happen

5. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    The only reason I ask is because, unless you got fired for failing a drug test or a major preventable accident, with your experience you can do much better than those companies.

6. braves2014

Aug 30, 2014
    yea, I know I looked at ABF, Yellow and a few others. The problem is no has local driving position available at the moments. Just looking until I find that right job i guess i am really being picky bout who i will and will not work for. Looking for the same pay is the Biggest problem on my Dam.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The good pay is with companies such as :

Schneider Bulk - not intermodal.
    Saia
    Estes
    Southeastern
    Cardinal Logistics - company driver or they will make you an 0/0. Good company.
    Trimac Transportation - potential for $80K+ in a year or so.
    CTL Transportation
    Tidewater Transit
    Superior Carriers
    SVTN
    A&R Transport - $65K

FFE has something in Atlanta & they do some LTL. Not sure of the pay with their LTL though.

Hub Group is one of the largest intermodal companies in the country.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Milkman719 and braves2014 Thank this.
  8. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    depends...

With Schneider you go broke, with Swift you go bankrupt... which one sounds like a better game plan?

9. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Not much if any difference also Schneider does have there own bulk containers as well and will be transfering more of there business to that side.

10. Cody1984

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Honestly I would pass on Swift since they are one of the least established companies when it comes to Intermodal. Schneider would be the better bet in that regard. JB Hunt also has intermodal jobs in the Atlanta area considering it's a one of the 3 main rail hubs for Norfolk Southern and it would be a local job for JB if that is more your thing. Of the three companies just mentioned Swift is the worst of the three.

braves2014 Thanks this.
  11. Cody1984

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Your not going to make what you were making at UPS with 21 years experience there at another job right off the bat. That's something you need to get through your head...your going to take a hit financially. Intermodal you will make less then you can make in LTL but Intermodal is no touch freight unlike LTL, no extra board like LTL has, you have stable shifts and don't bid on new shifts and/or runs every few months like LTL, etc. It does have some upsides to it vs LTL but you will make less money doing it then LTL. 60, 70, and even 80k is possible in Intermodal as a company driver but making 90 to 100k like senior line haul drivers do isn't.

braves2014 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.