Swift orientation road test

Discussion in 'Swift' started by pjay, Apr 24, 2012.

1. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Here at Lancaster you would test in either a Prostar or a Volvo both of which have the 8 speed (actually a 9 speed if you count Grandma Lo). Both are hooked to 53 ft trailers since that is what we pull most often. The orientation road test is just to determine what your skill level is, for instance coming to Swift with several years OTR experience. The tester would make a recommendation that maybe that driver would only need 50 hrs or less with a mentor due to skill level. pjay have no fear, you will get the full 240 hrs with a mentor. Don't be worried that the truck and trailer both are a bit larger than what you are used to, you will adapt quickly. The road test is probably easier than the one you had to take to get your CDL. Good luck!

pjay Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pjay

pjay Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    MA
    Sounds good, thanks for the info. I am not gonna dwell on it... it is what it is, and I know I will be find when it comes time to get behind the wheel again. The good news is, is that I am not intimidated about backing after training on that wiggly pup =)

inkeper Thanks this.
  4. CNClee

CNClee Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Centeral NY
    Pjay
    i went to orientation in syracuse in Jan . I did not go to swift school did it on my own so no oweing swift for school. I didnt have to test until i was thru with the 240 with my mentor. testing out is a piece of cake after driving otr with a mentor. Its basicly drive around the block & back into a spot no big deal. Syracuse is a small terminal. OH you may not test out at your home terminal i did my test out in columbus ohio & took the big dog ride home, but my whole mentor period was a snafu. out for 8 weeks 3 of them broke down.
    DONT be afraid to ask for a different mentor if you dont feel comfortable. i made the mistake of not asking. The last 2 weeks of my training the mentor did no mentoring, he just slept & #####ed if he got woke up. Stay in touch with Dave he is the driver development guy. check out your assigned mentor (when orientation is over) if something seems off then follow your instincts.
    sorry ive gone into an unintended rant
    Enjoy the ride Lee
    PS: if you testout in Syracuse you will probley do it in a volvo most of the trucks in syr are volvos older & mostly worn out

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Masshole/Noobie and pjay Thank this.
  5. Dagger

Dagger Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I had a similar experience as CNClee (without the breakdown though). My mentor didn't mentor, he just had me drive. I woke him up once to ask a question, when it was my time to sleep, he kept driving on the rumble strips. He was a real #$%.

I tested out far from my home terminal. Then they gave me a truck and sent me out solo. That's when I realized how much my mentor left out of my training.

Now that I am on my own, I am regretting not asking for someone else. Learning everything on your own costs you miles. You are not a team driver, you are a student.

Masshole/Noobie and pjay Thank this.
  6. Masshole/Noobie

Masshole/Noobie Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I know this is old but I'm from Ma. & apparently heading to Syracuse on the 17th of August after my Army Reserves drill.

7. Michael_Grifasi

Michael_Grifasi Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2017
    They are wanting to send me to Memphis, Tn to take the road test. I was trained on an 8-speed but would rather be tested on an Automatic, considering this what I will be driving. After passing the road test, I will be waiting on a mentor to take me out for training. I have two questions: will I be able to request being tested on an automatic, and can I request a specific trainer? Thank you

8. Masshole/Noobie

Jul 13, 2017
    I just got off the phone with a recruiter. He said he was requesting an auto for my road test because I'm out of practice. Got my license in 2009 & barely drove. I just hope they dont restrict me from clutch. I need to learn both again.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I heard they are pulling their cameras from the trucks. It sure if it's true or not

10. Masshole/Noobie

Jul 13, 2017
    Many swift drivers who post on YouTube,claim they deactivated them after drivers quit.

11. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    You can request a specific trainer and it helps to coordinate with that mentor so they arrive at Memphis when orientation finishes. Driver Services likes it when you do their job. My mentor years ago was someone I "met" here on TTR. The next two months rank among the top five worst experiences of my 67 years.

If you got your CDL in a manual there will be no restrictions on your license. All of the new Swift trucks are automatics but being a FNG you'll probably be assigned an older manual trans truck. However, you can request an automatic early and often when you upgrade to solo and you might luck out. A lot depends on what's available at that terminal at that time .

Yes, Swift has removed or disabled the driver facing cameras. There's never been a reason given but I would suspect it was giving opposition lawyers too much ammunition. I also heard from one of the safely coordinators at a terminal that there was substantial pushback from safety people required to watch videos of crashes, including fatality crashes. Remember the crash where the Swift driver rear ended a flatbed driving it into a UPS truck? I heard the video showed he was practically cut in half.

Best luck to you and welcome to the trucker's life zoo.

Frank

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.