swift orientation

Discussion in 'Swift' started by madagascar, Nov 24, 2013.

1. madagascar

madagascar Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Is there anybody attending a Swift orientation like I am this week? I rode the greyhound and I'm finally checked in at the hotel. I heard that there are about 40 people that will attend where I'm at.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good luck to you.

4. robbiecox6

robbiecox6 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Greenville, NC
  5. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, where are you? Swift does orientations at several terminals each week.

6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I went to orientation in Gary IN. They put me up in a nice hotel (The Trump Hotel.) They also fed us everyday and were friendly and professional. Swift is a decent outfit from what I have seen. I regret not staying longer but I was young and dumb and couldn't hack the OTR lifestyle.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  7. madagascar

madagascar Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm at the Atlanta terminal. I'm staying at the red roof inn. Hotel room isn't too shabby.

8. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Day 1 you do some paperwork, orientation, drug tests, DOT physical. Day 2 is the road test, then they will beat you with boards and electrocute you in the face, while showing you a 1980's projector slide show of how to do your proper pretrip inspection. Swift believes that, by associating the trauma of severe 3rd degree burns on your face and the pain of blunt-force trauma,combined with the pretrip inspection list, you will remember it perfectly and be a safe driver.

9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    You forgot that thing they do under the fingernails and the electrical thing they do to your thing speaking of things.

In at least some seriousness, orientation could be accomplished in a day but it takes three to get the results of your whiz quiz. While you are on your many breaks go to the smokers area, introduce yourself, and talk to the drivers instead of staying with your orientation group. You'll learn more than you will in orientation but remember to ignore 75% of what you hear since its pure bs. Also remember most successful drivers are rarely found in terminals and rarely sitting around when they are. (Certain shuttle drivers excepted of course.) The toughest part of being a truck driver is the transition from the same thing same place you do now to life OTR. The more info you have involving how to cope with that transition the more likely you'll find trucking an enjoyable career but most importantly a fulfilling lifestyle.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Thank you sir for excluding some of the shuttle drivers! :yes2557:

A21CAV Thanks this.
  11. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Don't be self conscious about being a noob when you get the opportunity to talk to other drivers. With over 18, 000 of us if you completely embarrass yourself its unlikely you'll ever meet up again.

I was a week into school, Swift Academy-San Antonio TX, and stepped up to talk to a company driver who was pulling out of the adjoining Central Freight terminal after spending the night. The Academy has moved to Corsicana and we are banned from that terminal but I have counted inkeeper as my friend since.

inkeper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.