swift refrigerated

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Transit_lifer, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Transit_lifer

Transit_lifer Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Hemet, CA
    Whats the reefer division like?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Some people love reefer and others like to sleep at night.

JOHNQPUBLIC, D.Tibbitt and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The same as dry van except you temp sensitive and time sensitive freight. I like reefer loads. When it's running it makes for good sleep. It's a lot of delivering on your 10 hrs break as many loads do drop in the wee hrs but it's good steady money.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I really like it, but it isn't for everyone. I've pulled some dry vans, but mostly reefer and been with Swift over a year.
    You do end up with mostly live loads and unloads, and usually that takes much longer than it should. So, if you do not have patience and are aggressive about getting lots of miles, reefer may not be for you. I almost always get detention pay when I get stuck at a shipper or receiver, but you gotta be strict about their rules for getting it. I follow the procedures, reply to the detentions messages they send, make sure I have the arrival time, appointment time and completion time on the BOL before I scan it in, and it shows up.
    Most say pulling reefer involves lots of night driving. I don't care for night driving and although I occasionally do, I'm mostly able to trip plan for daylight driving.
    Swift dry vans have spring suspension and are not as smooth to pull as the air suspension on their reefer trailers. I like the smoother ride of the reefers.
    Also, lots more details to contend with. Reefer fuel, pretripping reefer units, trailer washout are some of them.
    In other good news, you get a couple cents cpm more for pulling a reefer.
    It isn't for everyone, but I have patience, I'm not aggressive about getting tons of miles and it is a bit more work and challenge.
    I drive out of the Jurupa Valley terminal, although I'm not actually there very often. But, they have been good to me and I've enjoyed working with my driver leader(s), planners, fleet manager and terminal manager. I did switch to the West Valley terminal for a few weeks. But, the driver leader I got, I didn't get along with. So, after a couple weeks I switched back and don't plan on moving elsewhere. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    IDK, I figure you just gotta try and see if it fits you. If it doesn't switch to dry van or flat bed and find the niche that fits you and makes you happy. I'm happy with reefer, but many don't care for it.

6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Saw knight refrigerated truck pulling a swift refrigerated trailer..are they beginning to merge the companies together??

7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Knight and Swift merged together about 2 or 3 years ago. It may be longer than that

8. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    Already knew they knight owned them.. what I’m talking about is they are merging the companies into one in other words probably by this time next year there will be no more Swift it will be all knight Transportation

9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I certainly hope that will not be the case.

10. drvrtech77

Mar 20, 2010
    Twice in the last week..i saw a swift truck pulling a knight dry van and knight refrigerated pulling a swift reefer...some of the changes you all have mentioned more than likely are coming from knight Corporate..just watch your paychecks with knight... they are known for stealing payroll...i know from experience and know many others who have had that occur..

11. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well I figured it already happened is what I'm saying. It's been a few times where I saw Swift pulling a Knight and vice versa over that time period.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.