Swift review, new driver

Discussion in 'Swift' started by cannonrush, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    LMAO! Your too funny! Western Express is no better. They probably blow harder than Swift. At least Swift has more freight. I can't stop laughing at your choice. Haha

A21CAV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    You should go back to Mickey D's! They probably have a better pension plan than Western Express.

Lightside Thanks this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah and no bologna sandwiches for lunch...

Trillin Thanks this.
  5. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Any suggestions then? why would I choose Swift with driver cams and strict cabin rules?

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    To which strict cabin rules are you referring to?

And driver cams will be coming to more companies than you can count, very soon.
    I have seen many in other trucks besides Swift. What makes you think WE will be any different?

HousTank and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. Kindle

Kindle Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

The drive cams really do suck. Everything they told us about them is a lie or a lie by omission. The only reason I tolerate it is because I'm in a good situation on my job for Swift. If I was OTR I would be gone.

8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Please!
    Only some of it was was lies.
    And yes, I do pretty much know which were lies.

But the thing is, most of the bigger companies have either already started installing them or will soon.
    It is only a matter of time, and due pressure by insurance companies.

Maybe someone will come up with an electronic jammer?
    Something that is about 1 inch square that would be placed within 5 feet of the camera, that would 'encrypt' the video signal... or give the camera a 'cold'.

I have seen these in other trucks. Prime is one of them. But they are here, and probably to stay in a big way.

Not everyone can go to a small company, as there are only so many positions to fill.
    Personally, I don't want to. One never knows if one will jump from the frying pan into the fire, as so many have done. And Swift usually has pretty constant freight, so I'm not waiting very long between loads.
    Plus, I know the system and it is an easy one. I can control how I run to a fair degree.

9. Kindle

Oct 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Well Moose my latest thing to do to the camera is to start counting out 10 seconds from when the red light comes on (recording/reporting). I count it out loud then cover the camera. According to them its 10 seconds before and after an event happens so I've been helping it comply.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Um, well...
    I think it would be a bit dangerous to be watching the camera light that much, when you are supposed to have your eyes on the road and mirrors.

And it may be too far away for you to cover it from the sitting position in the drivers seat.
    Or do you slam on the brakes and come to a stop at the side of the road, just to cover the camera?
    And how long do you keep it covered?

And, if you cover the camera after 20 seconds (after it has actually recorded the event in question) (Don't forget, you will only see the red light when it starts saving files 'after event' - from seconds 11-20...), what good does it do you? The 10 seconds prior to you noticing the red light are already saved in a file, and then moved to the saved folder.
    And since you counted to 10 before covering the camera, it also recorded and saved those seconds.
    That includes you counting to 10 - trying to 'beat the system'.

How lame can you get?

Kindle Thanks this.
  11. Kindle

Oct 6, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm a local driver Moose, the #### thing pops on all the time. So I'm a petty individual and do mean things to the camera. I also talk to it, often profanely. Sometimes I go the philosophical route and ask what they wanted to do when they were growing up and what happened since they now watch truck drivers for a living. Many things I say make that camera go from red to green. The can and do watch in real time so it helps me pass the time. They called a co-worker 6 days in a row asking him to turn on a light so they could see if he was wearing a seat belt

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.