Swift Road Test

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Mousepal, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Mousepal

Mousepal Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Hi, so I was wondering what is the Swift road test composed of exactly? How does it compare to the CDL skills test, harder/easier? Also, do you have to double clutch the gears for the Swift road test? If one floats the gears would that get them sent home?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Are you going in as a trainee as Swift calls it or an experienced driver??? If you are a trainee, there will be no road test!

KH

4. Mousepal

Mousepal Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I'll be going in as a trainee but I was told there will be a road test after finishing the training period with a mentor. A recruiter said that.

5. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I would never float gears on a road test with one of the big box companies. I have given road tests for one of them and I didn't care - I just wanted to see if you could drive safely. The safety group frowned on it however.

6. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Very true. From what I hear Swift wants you to double clutch. I am hoping Rug Trucker, and the other can tell us trainees what to expect on the road test.

KH

7. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    yes, double clutch...or do what my ex-girlfriend would do, and fake it....LOL

Always keep your hands at 9 and 3....all that good stuff.

the "road test" swift gives you compared to what the official DOT test should be, is basicly a right turn, and you're done.

BOL to ya

Masshole/Noobie and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. capthook

capthook Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2010
    NC
    Depends on the terminal -
    Most it's a lap around the block and 1 straight line back between 2 trailers,
    Easy as pie -
    Phoenix and Memphis are a tad more - maybe 2 blocks and some cone backing...

9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Mine consisted of 30 minutes of BSing in the testers rig. But then again, he'd hitched a 300 mile ride with my mentor and I (I drove) a week before. Not your typical situation:biggrin_25525:.

10. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

Sure there is. Before training and after. I did. The CDL test is harder than the Swift test. Everyone takes one. Including rehires.

coconut and The Challenger Thank this.
  11. Mousepal

Mousepal Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2011
    OK, Thanks for the replies. I understand that double clutching should be used for the road test. This has me a bit disappointed and worried now because the school I go to does not teach double clutching. I "assumed" that they did teach double clutching. Well, it looks like "assuming" might cause me problems in the near future even if I passed and got my CDL. I'll just find someone to show me how I guess or figure it out myself during the month so with the mentor.

Thanks again for the replies...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.