Swift trainee program

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Lc88, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Lc88

Lc88 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Is there anyone out there who has went through the trainee program with Swift? I spoke with them today and was told that I can earn my CO within 14 days and train with a driver mentor for 4 to 6 weeks, during his time I would be paid $400 to $500, and afterwards I would be in my own truck driving solo. I am nervous about embarking on this journey, however it is a viable option for me because I am not in a position where I can afford to pay out of pocket to attend the one month CAL training here in Louisiana, and keep my bills paid during that process of finishing school and finding a job. If there is anyone who has gone through the trainee program with Swift by all means respond to this post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rex012

Rex012 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Just get the cdl at your own dime. Like 900$ maybe? Then come to swift unless you wanna pay like 4300$ at swift

dog-c Thanks this.
  4. Lc88

Lc88 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Well I was told by the recruiter that they pay the $4400 tuition but you have to stay with them for 13months. They take $37.50 out of the pay for 13 months and at the end of the 13 months they pay the other $2200. If I were to stay with them for 2 yes they would reimburse me for the full $4400.

5. HousTank

HousTank Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. DazzlinD4

DazzlinD4 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Everywhere
    I went through the program in Millington TN and have been with Swift now for about six months. The training is indeed about 4 to 6 weeks and what I made was right in that ballpark. Be prepared to teach yourself quite a bit at the academy. There was 64 students in my class and never more than four instructors. They showed the manuvers one or twice and then you are left to practice with your group. The first two weeks are all about teaching you how to park so you can pass the skill portion of the dmv test . Week three is minimal road training but enough to pass the road test. I am writing this from the back of my Swift truck so it can't be all bad right? Also the payback of the loan doesn't start until you go solo and even then it took a month for it to start.

7. jdshroudie

jdshroudie Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Punta Gorda,Florida
    Yeh ...i am talking to a recruiter for swift right ...he told me there was a new pay raise and some revamping in hometime, ect but couldnt tell me just yet was getting revamped....hopefully some swift drivers will pop in this thread and let us know ! Just trying to save $ up right now to cover the bills at home during training.

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That is correct, as described when I went through orientation last year. I didn't go to the school, so I don't have direct experience.

Hous Tank noted gnnt12345's excellent thread that outlines his experience going through the training academy. You do need to be motivated and a self starter from what I understand in talking with other new drivers and with my trainee that recently upgraded to solo (I'm a new mentor).

Which academy location would you be going to?

9. Tolan

Tolan Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    I went to the Corsicana academy which is where you would be going. It was 3 weeks. They put you up in a ###### motel that you have to pay them back for $25 a week I do believe. You dont start paying back tell you are solo. Other thing with Louisiana is its a 3rd party test which is over a$100. Then you have to wait another week to go to orientation because of having to go back to get your license. So its a month before you will really be on the road. I heard that swift pays for orientation now I am not sure. I do know from what the new people tell me that on duty pays $7.25hr and driving pays $9.25hr. If you go make sure you have enough money for food as it is not provided during school. Its late and I can't think so anything you want to know just ask as I am also from Louisiana.

10. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    To be clear about the hourly pay, unless it changed with the recent pay modifications, when you are on duty you get paid your home state minimum wage. When you are on duty driving you get minimum plus a dollar.

Lepton1 and dptrucker Thank this.
  11. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    yes..whta inkeper said regarding pay. another thing i'd add regarding the pay. some drivers think they make more money buy driving the 10 hrs, then staying on duty for another 4,then take their 10 break. i would try and stay on driveline,then do a 10 as much as possible. hope i make sense

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.