Swift Trans

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by BarberTrucker, Dec 29, 2017.

1. irishzulu

irishzulu Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Thats what we keep hearing but each week - low pay low miles - but he only started in Dec 2017. Swift is paying more weekly (flat pay of $950/5 days week or $1100 if you work on Sat too and home nightly with a local run) compared to the UPS miles he is now making and he's sleeping in the truck away from home but benefits would tip it over to one side or the other. If he gets more miles at UPS he'll be away more in order to make more until he gets a raise to .42 cpm after a year which will make not much difference. Swift is tempting to us - especially if benefits are affordable. At least I will have him home but it does seem like a step backward.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BarberTrucker

BarberTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017

I don’t turn down loads for no reason don’t get me wrong. I get paid by the mile. So why would I accept a load when I know my wheels will stop spinning and then I don’t get paid for it? That’s how I break it down. I always ask them too if it is something they would take. So I have not had any issues so far

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  4. irishzulu

irishzulu Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Also didn't mention - he works for UPS Freight not UPS - and is non union.

5. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2005
    $.42/mile at UPS Freight???
    No one starts that low there.

Sleeping in the truck?
    I’ve never heard of their guys doing that either.

That guy must be in some other division of UPS.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    So what are you saying he's not a Charlie Brown? Its some other outfit with the same initials?

7. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2005
    If they reduced the pay at UPS that much, every driver there would quit.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  8. irishzulu

irishzulu Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2018
    UPS Freight regional otr. Sleeps out 4 to 5 days. .40 cpm starting in Virginia. All true unfortunately!

9. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I'm curious for an update from the OP.

I just left Swift. Low miles, my utilization was down to 1850/wk, "OTR". I spent an average of 1-1/2 days per week not rolling, waiting to p/u or deliver.

My manager had started a program in December where I'd get a nasty gram on the Qualcomm each week if my miles were less than 2100. I stopped getting those when I pointed out the fact that it was on him and the planners , not on me. I roll(ed) as much as was required. I learned to manage my clocks well.

Swift had a program called "Plus One" where the actual delivery windows are not included in the dispatch. Secret Squirrels BS that prevents drivers from performing to the best of their abilities.

Anyhow, just wondering how it's going with the OP. I hope is still going well for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.