Swift Transportation Begins Sleep Apnea Program

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Cybergal, Oct 23, 2008.

1. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    The thing that most forget about is that everyone has to start somewhere. I commend companies that are willing to take people right out of school and dump the money into training gthem that they do. They usually have higher insurance rates becaue they are willing to take that risk. There are many companies who choose not to pay the higher premiums and thus require 1 - 5 years experience. Whenever I see an add in the paper (especially since I live in a small town) that says, "Experiened Only" my question is, where will someone get that experience if you are not willing to take the risk.

And I am sure you actually understand that the reason you see more Swift drivers doing goofy things is because of the simple fact you see more Swift drivers in a day than any other company. I live on I-40 and Swift trucks out number even the Werners, Schneiders, etc. at least two to one. I know a lot of people give Swift drivers a hard time about backing. Instead of giving them a hard time, understand the guy may be fairly new at being on his own, help him out. I had a Central Ref. guy do that for me at a Flyiing J one night as I tried to back into the only open stall left and was hindered because an oversize load parked in the drive aisle. We have to remember we all started out not knowing how to handle these things in a number of situatons and help would have been nice. Problem is, after driving a year or two we come to expect that everyon out here ought to know what they are doing but there are newbies out here that could use our help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Where I live the Schneider, Prime, and JB Hunt seem to out number the Swift trucks, though not by much. I know with so many trucks to fill Swift seems to sometimes be less selective about the quality of drivers they put on the road.

Maybe this is the trainers fault, but the qualifications for trainers should be tighter.

I started at a trucking company that was considered the bottom of the barrell as far as equipment and pay went, but I was proud the first day I drove that truck home.

I wasn't as thrilled when I was told do not turn the truck off, it won't start, and if the heater fan quits, which it does several times a night, hit it with this screwdriver, and don't try to jack up the cab, the cab frame is broke on the passenger side, and the cab would break if I tried to jack it up.

I was also less than thrilled sitting beside I-40 coming home from that first trip with the floorboard full of hot diesel fuel from a broken fuel line, late at night, and no one to call. I hitchiked home, but went back the next day, and stayed there until I bought my first truck.

The problem I have with the big companies is the lies and total lack of caring whether someone gets home, or if they lose everything they own or not. That first company I drive for wasn't great as far as equipment, but you could talk to the owner, and if you needed anything he would try to help.

Things sure are different today.

4. desert_son

desert_son Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Liberty Hill, Tx
    I have known a couple of drivers who drive for Swift and have sleep apena. They each use cpap machines (helps keep breathing at night). These units require inverters that need to be hard wired into power supply. Swift shops installed the inverters for the drivers and each told me they get good miles.

The Challenger and pawpaw Thank this.
  5. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    I know the folks admninstering the sleep apnea screening program at Swift. They are the same medical folks that do the screening and treatment at Schneider. They are good folks. The screening program at Swift is voluntary. Only if you test positive for having sleep apnea do requirements kick in.

About those that are worried about loosing their job if tested and found to have sleep apnea.. DON'T WORRY!!! If you are "under current and effective treatment" sleep apnea does not affect your DOT card. But you need to be using your CPAP machine.

Sleep apnea is a "disability" as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA prohibits firing or other "adverse personell actions" on the basis of a disability.

If you think you have been discriminated against because of sleep apnea you need to file an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) complaint. The forms are available on-line..

On other forums I regularly talk people through filing an EEOC complaint when needed.

If you even think you have sleep apnea.. GET TESTED.. it will change your life.

bigtruckin89 and pawpaw Thank this.
  6. CMate

CMate Bobtail Member

May 22, 2008
    Over here
    I have sleep apnea and i use a CPAP machine every night. The CPAP machine i have only uses like 200 watts. I run it every night on my 400 watt inverter. The difference in the amount of energy i have during the day now as opposed to then is like night & day.

Ask the wife/girlfriend if you snore when you sleep? If the answer is yes it would be to your benefit to have a sleep apnea test done ASAP. I won't bore you guys with the details, but when you find time do a little internet research on sleep apnea and you may be surprised at what you find out.

cpassey Thanks this.
  7. sailorman5296

sailorman5296 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2009
    St. Petersburg Beach, FL
    I was wondering I am in perfect health, except I found out that I snore and have sleep apnea but being treated and already have a CPAP machine that I use every night and wake up refreshed. I was just was about to go to truck driving school and was wondering will I have a hard time getting hired. I most likely now get a more restful sleep then most people. Thanks Sailorman

8. CMate

CMate Bobtail Member

May 22, 2008
    Over here

Can't speak for every company but the company i work for had no problem hiring me when i told them i have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. And since i started using my machine i have a ton more energy and i NEVER get sleepy during the day any longer like i did before. I don't want to get to personal and sound like some type of infomercial but the bedroom time with the wife ain't to bad now either.

sailorman5296 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.