Swr issue

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by h82bbad, Mar 18, 2019.

1. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Don't trust the built-n meter on the radio...get a external in-line meter and check it...

mike5511 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    My 980 reads 1.0 regardless of antenna, it is not accurate at all.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    The radio meter is probably ok if no one has been in it yet. Only run the amount of coax needed to reach the antenna, you don't need 18 feet of cable. You also may not get it to much lower because of the proxiamity of metal to the antenna. There's nothing to worry about below 2 as long as your not running power.
    I have been running in a Cascadia fore the last couple of months, I use a post mount near the right mirror about 6 feet of RG214 coax, and have about a 1.75 swr. No going to mess with it gets out fine, hears good. I running a Galaxy 95t but keep it down around 10 watts.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    With two separate people saying they have SWR problems with the 980 - the OP and in this thread -

New to cb world help

I would say the radio itself would be an issue unless it is confirmed to be accurate.

running 214 in a truck?

Just wonder why.

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Did your truck have stock antennas on it? The stock antenna on the older Cascadias that was mounted behind the door on the side of the sleeper would effect your SWR reading quite a bit if not removed. I haven't had any experience with newer trucks and the hidden antenna.

7. h82bbad

h82bbad Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Michigan/ Chattanooga Tn
    I have a bigger radio I want to install. (955hpc) Just trying to get the antenna set up as best I can prior to that. Still searching for the right ant setup. I know the skipshooter is highly recommended. I'm in a 14 midroof cascadia.

8. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Longer is always better. But they flop around a lot unless you brace it like I did. I would not go less than 5ft. I had a 5 and a 7 foot SkipShooter. I could get by with the 5fter, but the 7fter was a lot better. All our trucks were the Condo type. I don't have any experience with the mid-roof models. Take the time and get some braid strap and bond the mirror to the door and the door to the body across the hinge, then check it. It may be advantageous to go ahead and bond the body to the frame. More bonding = more better!

9. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Those are good SWR readings. The hams would focus on using an antenna analyzer at that point. SWR is only part of the picture.

You mention you’re using the radio’s built-in meter. What radio? On my Cobra 29, it’s seems to only approximate. More of a pass fail despite having a calibrated meter. +1 for the external meter.

10. h82bbad

h82bbad Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Michigan/ Chattanooga Tn
    980ssb. I have not hooked up my Stryker yet. I have to buy another plastic piece since my company wont allow me to cut the one in here

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth

THAT is the right approach. Another panel.

But you can save on dealer markup by waiting to see who is using the fuel island for their 30-minute break. Same truck as you? It’s a sign from the Universe. Your door key WILL fit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.