T800 N14 Fresh Rebuild Problems

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by RogerShilling, Oct 14, 2019.

1. RogerShilling

RogerShilling Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    I have an 03 T800 that I just had rebuilt this last winter. Inframe overhaul, with the heads inspected and redone. A mechanic friend did it in my shop, heads were taken to a shop in Kansas City.

Anyways, the engine is burning oil. After a few minutes of idling, it will leak a few drips out the exhaust manifold, where the sections mate up. Then when I take out on the road it will smoke some, a bluish whitish smoke for a little until it burns it out. Running down the road it doesn't smoke any, at least not noticable. Runs good, pulls great.

The more time it spends at an idle, the more oil is leaked out the manifold and the more smoke is produced at take off.

We have not taken the exhaust manifold off yet, to see if it's coming from one or multiple ports. It is not the turbo feeding oil thru the air to air and into the intake, as boots are clean. No blow by, no excessive oil in breather tube.

Anyone had a head problem after a shop worked on it? Where else could the oil be coming from?

Burns about a gal in 3000 miles or so

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    If it's fresh overhaul. Run the snot out of it loaded to the gills. The rings don't seat for a few hard miles. And make sure it gets hot.
    You don't idle a fresh rebuilt engine.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  4. RogerShilling

RogerShilling Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    Did all of that already. I cannot make it get very high egt's with the amount of boost I have, even on a hot day lugging it I won't get above 800. Engine water temp can get to 200, but I don't think that matters as much as egt's. But I am still learning too. Didn't idle it at all for the first 5-7k miles

5. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Most likely a bad valve guide. That has been my experience with our N14s.

RogerShilling and ??? Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.