TA Binghamton NY

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Omega1, May 27, 2019.

1. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I know how we all ##### about truck stops these days. I want to post a positive. I am doing a reset at a very old TA in Binghamton NY. I was so disappointed that this was where I was going to reset on a holiday weekend.
    I was wrong with my attitude and pleasantly surprised.
    This place is very old. The restrooms are all up stairs and they only have 3 stalls. The stairway is narrow and a little weird. But here are the good points:
    1. The food at the restaurant is actually decent, well prepared and the waitresses are nice.
    2. The restrooms and showers are clean..really clean. No 3 inches of crap built up in the corners and the bathroom fans and air diffusers are clean too.
    3. Memorial Day as I write this, there is a young lady walking around the parking lot with a broom and a dustpan picking up anything and everything thrown on the lot by drivers..even every cigarette but.
    So, I just wanted to share. Employees are nice and this place deserves Kudos!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    That TA used to be a whole lot worse, it got remodeled a few years ago.

25(2)+2, Omega1 and bzinger Thank this.
  4. what's better back in the day when country Bob's was next door in the 80s and 90s.
    one at fultonville just as old but still cool on the river.
    the only crappy one from those days is maybrook on i-84
    but they were all born back in the did the early sixties has roadway travel plazas and they became travel ports and then they became ta/s

Omega1 and bzinger Thank this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    All are old union 76 truckstops .
    Basically if ya gotta go upstairs to shower it's an old 76 .

6. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    The TA at clayton ind exit 59 on 70 is an old 76 .
    Stopped there today and very clean friendly ...decent food .

7. no those were never a part of the pure Union oil truckstops..
    Many T/As have upstairs and so did the roadway travel plazas on the East Coast.
    the only 76 is that were found on the East Coast orange ball in the actual Northeast were the 2 in Connecticut at branford and milldale..in New York the closest original orange ball truckstop was only located off of the New York Thruway at Corfu between buffalo and Rochester.
    those were the only place is up in the Northeast where unocal oil had their places.
    just go back to the lineage and look up rodeway motor plaza that's what those were born as originally in the day. then they became known as travelport and then of course ta.
    Union 76 only got into the truck stop business Circa 1968.. when they bought out the pure oil company.
    those old classic th that I mentioned are your old school roadway motor plaza's from back in the day. long before unocal oil ever got into the truck stop business

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'll take your word for it kev lol.
    The TA at paulsboro nj was a 76 I know for sure cause I was there when it was .
    Hudson Wisconsin and wood river Nebraska also .
    The rest I wouldn't swear to .

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If it has a spiral staircase leading upstairs, it was a 76.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. yep there's many of the old 76 buildings that still stand..
    God's back in the day at fallen flag long gone from about the mid-90s over there across from Clayton used to be one of the old haps blue and white.. found around Central Indiana.
    Whitestown Indiana other one born as a 76. you can look at the classic architecture and tell exactly what was an old 76 by the way they stand they use the same almost kind of design from 1968 through 1974 as they built them around America.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. yep the spiral staircase or the curved staircase indeed was an old orange ball design

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.