Tablet Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by A_Jackie, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" tablet shortly before I started. I got it through Sprint (T-Mobile now) so I only needed cellphone signal to have internet. It is without a doubt my workhorse! I don't use it for ELD stuff, as my company gives me the equipment for that. But, so glad I got a tablet. I use it for everything except phone calls and text messages (for whatever reason, tablet does have texting or calling capabilities enabled).
    Anyway, not an Apple person, never have been, but not going to rag on them here. I have my reasons, but to each their own.

Bumper Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In another thread I spoke of a dinner party I was part of last Friday evening. One of the people was using a new Samsung smartphone. I was greatly impressed with how it looked. I use a Samsung SSD on this desktop computer. Because I am not an Apple fanboy I don't need to defend Apple products. As I said before I chose ios because the devices at least from my vantage point last longer. If I were to use a non-ios tablet/smartphone most likely it would be Samsung. I am getting good reports about these products. The thing is, however, using them creates the basic knock-on ios! TOO EXPENSIVE! You want a quality device that will stand you are going to pay for it! Do you want cheap? Well -------!

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I’ll fully admit to being an Apple Fanboy but equally admit that competition in any market is a very good thing. Keeps all sides on their toes and the ultimate beneficiary is the end user no matter which their choose to meet their individual needs and requirements.

As to the durability of Apple devices, just bought an iPhone SE2 to replace my iPhone 6S+ which I got SIX YEARS of use out of it. I paid a bit of coin for that 6S+ but after Six Years I do believe I got my money’s worth out of it.

And it’s not just that the Hardware lasted Six Years but it still qualifies for iOS 15 which was just released. So after Six Years, it’s still getting all the current and newest iOS updates too. (Not all new features work on the old girl but everything I need was updated) I know that was important to me too. And not pushed into new hardware to get updates.

I’m currently looking at the new iPad mini Gen 6 as well. I’ve had my iPad mini Gen 5 now for Three Years and if I replace it, I’ll hand it down to my sister who will probably get another 3 Years out of it. Same will probably be true of the software updates too.

Again, all competition is good and may whatever hardware/software one buys, I hope it serves them well.

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I DONT like apple, but i will give credit where its due, in tablet space, apple's biggest competition for its latest devices has always been the last apple tablet.

My wife prefers her kindle, but thats apples and oranges, she likes it because its superior at the ONE thing she uses it for, reading in bed.

Brother brought this up a night or so ago, (he needs a tablet for takimg jobsite dimensions) and 10 inch was too big for him to comfortably manage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T7RMRY9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MTW5QDC99AWD573CMM8D?psc=1

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Agreed… for reading it’s hard to beat the Kindle.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Does he need cellular? If he doesn’t the iPad mini 5 is like $399 and that was before the new mini 6 came out at $499. Save a few bucks if he doesn’t need cellular. But if he needs cellular then the up charge in the iPad mini would jump.

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    He very much hates apple, he used to use one for the same purpose and it just didnt work well for him in this case. I wont even try to recommend anything ios for him :p

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    :D
    Something for everyone… lol
    Competition is good for all. :D

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I guess I am just a Neanderthal, but I much rather read an actual book/magazine. I have a kindle fire it is actually on my nightstand. My sister gave it to me about a year ago because she bought it by mistake and had rather have a Samsung tablet! I tied it to my Amazon account and sometimes use it to order stuff off Amazon. To each their own I guess.

11. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Yup… options for everyone.
    All good for one reason or another.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.