Taking 1st step

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by Naptown, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    A few more days and I'll have a full year in. It remains a positive experience for me. I was hesitant to leave a good company for OD, but I don't regret that decision at all. I don't want to be a company cheerleader, but this is the best place I've
    ever worked for in terms of organization and employee/management interaction. Is it really that way across the board company wide? I can't answer that, but in my own small picture world things are going great.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. odsilverbullet

odsilverbullet Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Im jealous, hoping to join the team asap

4. Naptown

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Been dealing with winter slowdown since Christmastime. Mostly because I'm extra board. The schedule runs haven't been affected all that much, there's just less overflow for us extra guys. I still got at least 2000 miles a week, so it wasn't terrible. Now that the weather has shifted toward spring we'll get busier and I'll be knocking out the miles. I could have gotten a Chicago run last bid, but...Chicago. Glad I stayed put.

5. odsilverbullet

odsilverbullet Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    2,000 miles a week at what .56 plus extras........more than i make when i am busy in summer lol

6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I'll be the cheerleader! I'm drinking that OD kool aid! :) My family is too!

Naptown Thanks this.
  7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I run wild too Naptown, but was able to cover a schedule this winter. We only got cancelled for freight a few times.

I hear ya about not taking a run because of a destination, just to get a schedule. For us, that would be Jersey City, Brooklyn, or Long Island. Been to all three places. Like anything else, you get used to it, but these are about the only schedules available to drivers that just start having enough seniority to come off the extraboard.

I've been staying wild until I get something I'll really enjoy. I look at the bright side of being wild, i.e. variety.

8. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I've got a question for you, Naptown, if you're around... I'm guessing turnover is pretty low at OD, but just wondering, aside from retirement and termination, why would anyone leave OD? I know you haven't been there all that long, but have you known anyone to quit? And if so, for what reason.
    I'm looking for a place I can work for the next 15 years comfortably and retire from ... thinking about applying there.

9. Naptown

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You're right, not a lot of turnover. I know a guy that quit OD because he bought his own truck. There's a user on this site that did the same thing as well. A fellow quit to go back to college. Those are the only ones I know about, but my barn is a big one. There are probably others, but the percentage is low. Most guys just switch between P&D and linehaul if they get bored or burnt out. You can't swing a stick in the break room without hitting a guy that has been there 15+ years. It's definitely a place to retire from.

plankton Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.