Taking a Mid Trip inspection

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by americanroads, Mar 2, 2020.

1. americanroads

americanroads Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2020
    Hi all!

I am working as an assistant fleet manager for a small trucking company. This is my first job in the long haul industry. I am still learning the ropes.

One of my job duties is to make sure drivers take a mid trip inspection now and then. However, some drivers are being extremely difficult about it. They always have an excuse to skip it or just refuse to do it.

I am wondering if ya'll have any tips on how to work with difficult drivers and have them take a mid trip inspection.

I call and text them well in advance before due date so they have plenty of time to stop by a truck stop and take a mid trip. I notify their dispatch as well. Yet, half of the drivers are late or refuse the inspection.

Thank you all in advance!

P.S. To clarify what I mean by Mid Trip Inspection:
    A walk around by a 3rd party mechanice, usualy at a truck stop, to check the tires, brakes, lights and ect.
    And we ask drivers to take the inspetion once a week, or less often.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    striker and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    it will take the dispatching folks to help out...

No inspection, no dispatch

striker, Dino soar, Bean Jr. and 5 others Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Does Dispatch care about midtrip inspections? Does Dispatch get any type of punishment for drivers missing or skipping midtrip inspections?

If not, Dispatch is not going to take midtrip inspections into account when they schedule the trucks. Or they are going to tell the drivers to skip it "Cause it's not important, You gotta go, Yer LATE!"

Stop blaming the drivers until you understand the Dispatch culture.

gabe11, wis bang, Dino soar and 6 others Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What's the big deal anyway? Is the pre and post trips not enough? If it's not and too many trucks are breaking down, those drivers need to be written up for not doing a proper pretrip.

skellr, Dino soar, meechyaboy and 9 others Thank this.
  6. americanroads

Feb 26, 2020
    That's the problem. Some drivers always say they do pre trip and their truck and trailers are fine. But when they come back to the office they fail big time. By having them take mid trip I can see if there is a problem by looking at the inspection report.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Should be able to find that on the protip or post trip reports.

Do your drivers get paid for Breakdown? Or does reporting an issue cost your drivers money due to sitting while the repair takes place?

Capacity, Mototom, scott180 and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    The only real way to fix drivers not doing inspections is to hire better drivers. Easier said than done. I have 4-5 that I would like to find employment elsewhere. Cold seats don't make money..

Bean Jr. and americanroads Thank this.
  9. americanroads

Feb 26, 2020
    Pre and post trip are just walk arounds. There are no reports

Not sure about that. I will find out. Good point. Thanks!

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ok, so you are calling a 3rd party inspection a mid trip? (Even if the 3rd party is the company shop)

Do the drivers get paid? If not I can see the reluctance. See if management will agree to toss in $25 - $50 depending on how long it takes. Pay the driver for their time and the issues tend to become minor.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    We were required to do a pre & post, before and after a 10 hr. break & log it for 15 minutes. If we didn't, it went in our record and has bearing on whether we're fired or not if some incident/accident occurs.
    That's not federally required, but it was company policy and perfectly legal.
    I couldn't care less; if that's what the company wants; no big deal.

striker, Bean Jr., Big_D409 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.