Taking a Mid Trip inspection

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by americanroads, Mar 2, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A half a day of listening to drivers in the break room or in the shop yakking and carrying on about dispatcher sam, wrechie Billy or despot VP upstairs etc will give you a world of information.

If the equiptment is not doing well additional inspections will only beat a dead horse until equiptment is either replaced or taken care of.

Drivers generally will not be bothered to worry about something that gains them nothing or particularly damning gains them more time in the office with the OP Explaining why the trailer is in bad shape at the drop yard.

If by some miracle you paid drivers a flat salary *Imagines a figure out of a hat... $2000 a week and required all of these things of them and the equiptment is top notch leaving the shop with hardly anything to do then alls well. Not at .34 a mile or dispatches to the 10 minute window of being late against appt for whatever delay; including ELD ticktocks. The reward is potentially not hiring any driver for years. (To paraphrase)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I inspect my truck, trailer, cargo, and securement several times a day. Takes just a few minutes and is a goos way to stretch the old joints and stay mobile vs stiffen up from driving non stop for 8 hours.

That being said, if I was told I needed to stop by a 3rd party to do it, that few minutes would become an hour easy in which case you'd be looking for a new driver.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    [​IMG]

"Social distancing violation... two weeks penalty!"

magoo68, tscottme, Opendeckin and 2 others Thank this.
  5. amberfeldt

amberfeldt Light Load Member

May 20, 2019
    Minnesota
    try that with the whole fleet................

6. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    You guys really dont know what a mid-trip is? A mid-trip is an inspection buy a mechanic at a shop, done between oil changes, hence “mid trip”. They GREASE THE TRUCK, check and top off fluids, check hoses, belts, tires, and brakes. You all acting like you do a full inspection every day ask yourself how many times you see a hood open at a truck stop. You know you ain’t greasing the truck so what’s a company supposed to do but require a driver to get a mid trip in between oil changes, which is upwards of 60,000 miles nowadays.

7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Did you even read what the OP posted? They want them to stop every week to get the lights checked, nothing about greasing or topping fluids off.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yeppers. Gotta love people that reopen a thread that's 1 1/2 years old and be dead wrong in what they are saying....

9. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I’m right you are wrong, as per usual.

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Sounds more like a PM service.
    An "A" level service.

I do a open hood pretrip inspection daily.
    Call it required maintenance and schedule it for the driver based on their schedule.

buzzarddriver Thanks this.
  11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    My .02 on this, every few hours I stop to drain a kidney and stretch my legs, that includes grabbing my hammer and thumping tires and listening for leaks, while my ELD may not show a specific DVIR update, my ELD will show that I made that 3 or 4 minute stop, because I log it on-duty when I stop.

classic_150 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.