Taking the leap...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dr Demented, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I knew a couple brokers from a previous 3-week stint prior to getting my own Authority. I use them, but to be honest, they're a very small part of my loads. I get my loads from the MembersEdge loadboard, same as TruckersEdge but a few bucks a month cheaper through OOIDA. Prior to this loadboard I used Internet Truckstop. I've developed relationships with a few brokers I met off these boards and that's really helped things quite a bit.

newly crusin and The Challenger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dr Demented

Dr Demented Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Thanks. I was figuring about $5000 a month for fuel and incidentals, hoping it wouldn't be that high so I could have a little extra just in case I needed it.

I'm trying to keep away from factoring as much as possible so I won't become dependent on it. I get emails from Gallop Logistics offering loads that offer no-fee Quickpay and that would probably be helpful for backhauls but I'm the kind of guy who'll gladly wait a few weeks for the full amount due instead of paying a fee for quick cash no matter how hard up I am.

4. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    How r ya doc, also gears, just wondering how everything is going for you guys, I was really enjoying this thread lol. How about u doc? Everything with the authority, etc... going good so far?:biggrin_255:

5. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    Hey Scuba... Things are OK. Had the truck in the shop to have the starter replaced and other minor issues checked out. Looking for a regional load today, probably heading South come Monday. Hope all's well with you and yours!

6. Dr Demented

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Still chugging along trying to find a bank that won't say no. My wife just found out her dad has cancer so we've spent the last 4 days dealing with that and I haven't had time to get to the last three banks in town but I'm still putting feelers out into cyberspace trying to find angel or venture capital.

7. Gears

Aug 20, 2009
    Sorry to read of your FIL. Tough situation no matter how you slice it. Good luck with your financing quest. It's a toughy as well. Wish I could help too.

Dr Demented Thanks this.
  8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Dr. D,

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Hope everything goes well. Best of luck.

KH

Dr Demented Thanks this.
  9. Dr Demented

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Thanks, all. I just uploaded the business plan to my website. It's an "online version" stripped down of certain sensitive information like phone numbers, addresses and my EIN, but still has all the numbers and everything that I'm using in my quest.

Hopefully I won't get into trouble for posting the link, but anyone who wants to see it can find it at michaelgriffey dot com

I even had a call in to a friend I worked for before with his own authority seeing if he wanted to "hire" me on his authority so I could whittle the starting costs down even further...but he gave up his business. :(

10. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Sorry to hear about your wifes dad doc, my mom is actually going through breast cancer right now so I know how bad it feels when a loved one is not doing to well, on the other end of things, hope you get the financing you need, me and a buddy are actually starting out together teaming so we can keep some costs down a bit by splitting everything 50/50 until the business is off the ground and then we can decide on were to go from there, seperate and do our own thing or keep working together. I filled out the authority request online thorugh the fmsca so atleast the ball is rolling lol. Once again doc hope all goes well for you and keep us posted.:biggrin_25525:

Dr Demented Thanks this.
  11. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    How are ya gears, I actually just filled out the request for the authority through the fmsca website, so its underway, very nervous and excited at the same time. Would you recommend joining the ooida, such as yourself if I remeber correctly?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.