Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    Good job. Stay with it. Some tips.

I listen to Kevin Rutherford a lot. Don’t drink all his koolaide, but there's a lot of of good info there.

I’ve lost 75lbs since March of last year (from 300 to 225). Would’ve lost more, but I reset at home and the family ain’t playing the keto game, so I usually go off on the weekends.

Your menu with get boring. It will be your undoing. Educate yourself on different things to take on the road. I haven’t researched apples, but fruit is loaded with sugar, so I don’t do it. Careful with fruit.

Subway: any sandwich can be turned into a chop salad (no bread). I get the steak and cheese, double meat, with every vegetable except pickles and banana peppers, with ranch and olive oil. I usually cut up an avocado and put it in there. Also, I keep cod liver on the truck and throw it in there too.

Luckily, I like sardines. I keep and eat a lot of those. Very nutritious. Look into canned meat. Chicken, salmon, tuna, etc... Canned meat stores well on the truck.

Drink lots of water.

Some other things, but I gotta get rolling. Educate yourself on the quality of food you’re eating, or you’ll get other issues.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Mission foods now sells some low carb tortillas. 2 to 4 carbs each. One a week of so my wife makes fajitas or tacos and having these tortillas really changes up the menus. I got a cheeseburger the other day, toss the bun and used tortillas. Pretty good and @ 9 carbs.

Rideandrepair, Farmerbob1 and F4T6UY Thank this.
  4. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas

And being that I’m honorary Mexican, by marriage and location, tortillas have been one of the hardest things to give up.

I’ll look into those. There’s also another brand I’ve heard of, but I can’t think of them right now and they didn’t carry them at my local Walmart/grocery.

But back to FARMERBOB1, or anybody else doing this, it’s important to get creative and look for ways to mix the menu up.

You can get by on roller dogs and bunless fast food burgers, but let’s face it, we are generally not in good health. Work on your quality of food.

One of my favorite meals on the road - mashed up avocado, Wild Planet brand tuna or salmon, Tapatio (or similar bottled salsa...or sometimes I use Rotel tomatoes in a can), maybe some other spices, mix it up, and scoop it up with pork rines. Filling and healthy.

I keep some bacon jerky handy and get hard boiled eggs at the truckstop so I can pretend I’m having bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I keep walnuts handy for a snack.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Since the truck is not calculating distance properly due to tire diameter change, I can't get a solid number. I can guesstimate though, and it seems to be around 6.5 or so.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    So, stopped for fuel, and when I got back in the truck there was a low air warning.

LRI trailer tire blew at some point today. Tread still present, so hopefully other tires are fine.

I have 301 miles to drive, and 5h3m to do it. No firm appointment time, but it needs to be there today.

Hopefully I can make that happen without an HOS violation. Still have 6.5 hours on my 14, so it should be doable, since today is Sunday and all the miles except the last 2 are interstate miles.

7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Managed to make it through Indianapolis, and all those #### 55MPH zones and construction and got to final with 14 minutes left on my drive clock.

No way I was going to try and find parking with a trailer in Edwardsville, IL after 7PM, so I bobtailed out and shut down in the Flying J bobtail lot.

We shall see who is in the office tomorrow AM. I suspect I might be taking a 34 a day early.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    My girlfriend is keto, I’m not that hardcore. But I’ve cut out sugar (Mtn Dew was a tough one for me, as well as chips and salsa) and carbs since mid Feb. I do fast once in a while, sometimes you just have days where you don’t feel hungry so I just go with it. Other than avoiding candy and pop I’m not super duper strict. If I want a taco I’ll eat a taco knowing that I will feel like crap after I do it. I’m down to 205 from 228. My goal is to just get under 200 and maintain it.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have done low carb successfully quite a few times over the years, but have never been able to stick to it for more than three or four months.

Even now, I don't plan on staying low carb for more than a few months.

After I lose fifty or so lbs, I am going to shift from low carb to moderate carbs, and work on portion control, because in the end, portion control has always been my weight issue.

This will work reasonably well, I hope, because the food volume on a low carb diet is small. The stomach shrinks, and portion control is easy for a while.

Long FLD, Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yeah...I can't resist juicy cherries in Summer or poppy seed cake on Christmas.
    Portion control is a key thing. Life is too short to spend it on eating greasy meat and fat.
    Which is to say, life would seem much less enjoyable, if eating were reduced only to Neanderthals diet.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    F4T6UY, Rideandrepair and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, dispatch doesn't have anything productive near me this AM, so I will finish a 34 and see what comes up tomorrow AM.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.