Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t know where he’s going to go, but I know Chad in KC prefers you leave your old steers on it so he has an idea of where to look based on the wear. Then once he gets done you buy new steers from T&E at the same complex.

But since he’s borderline legal that’s probably not feasible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yep and T&E does national accounts on tires as well.

77fib77 and Long FLD Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, I think I understand my odd tire wear issues on my drives now.

First, shortly after buying the truck, I had an out of round RF wheel that caused weird wear. It also caused pretty significant vibration.

I suspect that period of vibration caused the RF drive shock to start failing faster than the other three drive shocks.

I have been seeing step wear on the RFI inner tread for a while now, but was confused on the cause, since all four shocks are the same age, and I didn't think about all the extra work the RFI shock had to do with the out of round wheel.

However, at 750k miles now, on original factory shocks, all four inner drive tires are seeing step wear on the inner tread line.

This means that when I get home, I will be having all six shocks replaced.

While taking a look at the truck with me, the shop foreman here at the Whitestown TA also pointed out that my torque arms were not centered on their bushings. From what I have been able to see online, that's a problem for alignment.

So, today I am replacing both steers, both torque arms, doing a three-axle alignment, and having my drives rotated in an 'x' pattern to preserve direction of rotation, while changing which tires will be taking the excessive wear from failing shocks for the next couple weeks before I get back home for some time off.

I have decided to return to Bridgestone 6175 lb rating steers as well, since the Yoko 16 ply steers didn't really make any difference on my truck.

I am also trying the plastic balancing beads on my new steers.

When I get home, it will be DPF filter cleaning, new shocks all around, a full B service, and my right mirror heater is not working right. I am thinking about new wheel bearings all the war around too, but might not do that yet. By the time I get home the truck will have about 760k miles on it, almost all highway miles. I need to dig more into the expected lifetime of truck wheel bearings.

TallJoe, dwells40 and Itsbrokeagain Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Here are the old torque arms.

20210525_213650.jpg 20210525_213717.jpg

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How are the bushings on your suspension hangers?

Tug Toy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I actually watch those. All of them are fine. I was not aware of how important the position of the torque arm bushings is for alignment, though, now that I do know, it seems pretty obvious.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    750k. Them shocks probably lost their fluid miles ago.

9. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Whoever buys your truck ..when you are finished with it...will get a better truck...than buying one from Crete

Jarhed1964, DUNE-T, JoeyJunk and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I replace shocks every couple of years. Wheel bearings you shouldn’t need to replace as long as there is no pitting on the races or bearings. It might be a good idea to make sure they are not loose.

Jarhed1964 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Pretty much same here. I do shocks every time I replace tires and also do an alignment at the same time. I just see it as an investment towards my tire investment. These roads are horrible out here. I’d like to think it helps with mpg everything being aligned and in order.

dunchues, TallJoe and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.