Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    It's just a simple EIN number. Can you even form a LLC without a EIN?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I don’t even know how you pay a 2290 without one

Farmerbob1 and sealevel Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If you are a sole proprietor, with no employees, there is no legal need for an EIN. Schneider is requiring more one for some extra-legal reason.

That's their choice. They will not make an exception, so I will simply be delayed as I take a more complicated path.

5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    You can certainly form a LLC without having a EIN. However, the LLC will require one of it's own, if I have been told correctly, and it will be generated by the government independently of any EIN generated for whoever started the LLC.

After all, the whole point of an LLC is to create an alternate legal entity to separate personal assets and liabilities from company assets and liabilities.

sealevel Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not know the details, but payment for 2290s are paid through Crete.

7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I had an EIN over 20 years ago in a company I started 20+ years ago when I was young and stupid. Company failed in six months, and I lost money on it, and never owed any taxes. The IRS agent and I looked for anything from that company and all my old addresses to see if the old company EIN was still associated with me, but there was nothing that she found.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Took a load from North Carolina to Jonesboro AR for delivery earlier today.

Shortly before I got to Nashville I had an oh crap moment. My routing was going to take me over the I-40 Mississippi River Bridge. Which is closed. Which is forcing river crossing traffic onto the I-55 bridge. Which was going to make getting through Memphis and across the river really frigging ugly.

Stopped at a rest stop. Looked at the map.

Found what looked to be a solid route and took it.

I can report that the US412 route between I-40 and I-155 in Tennessee is a very truck friendly secondary road. Will take again.

Jarhed1964 and Tropsnart Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    EIN is also needed when you choose to file taxes as an S-corporation. The purpose of S- corp is to have ability to do your own payroll and opportunity to save on taxes. You can elect S- Corp regardless of whether your business entity is a corporation or LLC.
    The saving formula consists in splitting your business income into payroll portion and dividend portion. The smaller the payroll portion, the lesser taxes. However, payroll must be reasonably high, commensurate to the industry standards.
    For example, if your one truck business operation generates net income of $100 000 on 100 000 miles (let's say from $210 000 gross revenue) then you have to pay yourself for the workload of 100 000 miles. You choose to decide what the reasonable is but IRS may or may not disagree later, during an audit. I'd say that, in this example, paying yourself more than $60 000 is very reasonable but $20 000 is asking for trouble from IRS.
    Asset and liability separation is meaningless for the purpose of providing protection against legal risks, if you are the only person who performs all the business duties. It does protect your personal assets and liabilities when the harm is done by not you but someone else in your buisness e.g. partnered, associated or hired (driver, dispatcher, receptionist).
    I think that when it is said that an owner operator runs his truck as business it also means to separate personal aspects from business on the financial and legal level. So forming LLC or corporation is the right move imo. It creates a good legal foundation and perspective in case you want to expand in size or grow and evolve in operations.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    dwells40, Farmerbob1 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    @TallJoe gave you some good advice. Don't forget that you can still take per diem off of the $60,000. Instead of figuring cents per mile you can do it the old way of $60 something a day.

dwells40 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.