Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Yep. Legal, and can be returned to the steer as long as the puncture is not in the shoulder or sidewall, and the puncture is not larger than 3/8" diameter.

dwells40, Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I love it when the Truckstop Shop quotes Me DOT regulation!!! Or when I need a part, they ask, what is it you’re trying to do? Does it matter??? Either you have the part or not!!! I know what I’m doing. Gotta love the experts, Lol!!

HopeOverMope, snowwy, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. 88 series vet

88 series vet Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Am sorry i wish you all the luck but all am seeing here is company driver mindset, more miles means more money. You want to be an owner think like an owner less miles more money. All you are doing is tearing your truck up and you wonder why maintenance is high. Going by your mindset a newer truck wont help you just want to run miles. I run like 1500 miles a week and average 2 per mile all miles. 2012 cascadia that has only seen a shop for a delete and tune and normal pm and lubes, . You are not gonna learn rates, lanes and markets running under a dispatch doing the same stuff you did as a company man.
    You want to be an owner and learn put that company mindset behind you.

86scotty and Eldiablo Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I am taking home roughly as much money as an o/o as I was as a company driver, including all expenses. I am also working just as hard as an o/o as I did as a company driver.

This is not the stage where I learn rates, lanes, and markets. This is the stage where I learn how much maintenance actually costs, and how to be productive when I am the owner.

This is also the stage where I learn whether or not I have the drive and desire to keep working when I could simply tell my dispatcher that I want a day off after my next delivery.

So far, since mid-January this year, despite all the maintenance I have had to do, I have lost a grand total of 4 days of driving time due to maintenance, and the only days I have chosen not to drive are days I scheduled as hometime days.

I do want to be an owner operator. But I do not want to be a failed owner operator. I have a plan, and I'm sticking to it.

Especially now that I have been hearing about how much of a PITA Schneider is starting to go full 1984. I was considering accelerating my schedule but I'm backing off that.

I actually called Landstar the other day and verified that they do indeed require hazmat certs. That irritates the hell out of me, but the recruiter did manage to say something that made a little sense. Landstar wants Hazmat Certs because that means that the driver was capable of passing the Hazmat Cert requirements. It's basically a moron filter.

With that in mind, and considering the tardtastic Orwellian idiocy being implemented at Schneider, breaking down and getting my hazmat cert to get in the door at Landstar is starting to look a little more attractive.

basedinMN_, 062 and dwells40 Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    No one wants to be a failed O/O.

But it happens. For a million reasons.

I gave it a whirl once. But spending $15G on an electrical issue in 2 months. Really hurt. And the company I was hauling for losing that very lucrative haul. Put an end to that chapter of life.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I guess I missed the switch from Crete to Schneider. I understand the feeling of safety, being associated with an established company. Financially stability and all. But it’s really over rated. For the simple reason, they don’t have your best interests in mind. Especially during bad times, they’ll hang you out to dry. Stock shares performance being their priority. What feels like security to you, is actually a liability. Exposing you to the interests of others. At a cost to you. Best to get away from the big companies. Even Landstar isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.It took Me 8 yrs to finally realize this. I too was leased to a Mega. 15 yrs later, still on my own. That says it all. The added financial risk you’re taking, should pay off more than being a Company Driver. Modern lease agreements are designed to keep you barely above water. And dependent on the Carrier. Muddled down in discount programs, they’re appealing to most people’s desire to get a good deal, or something for free. No such thing, in reality, always a string attached or a hook to get caught on. Focus on making more revenue. Calculate the added costs, and added net revenue.Youve already figured out the maintenance part. Simple it costs money, try to get value for what you spend. Meanwhile you’re making the Companies your leased to very proud of you. I bet they just love you. Same way they loved me. Till they decide they’re done with you. Don’t go down, lining their pockets. Invest a little more time, and money, to make more.The track your on now, is really a stationary one. Although, you’re constantly moving. Like a hamster on a wheel. Eventually the hamster gets wore out.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes. I recognize that it might happen to me if I attract enough bad luck, or make poor choices. Being an o/o is different in many ways.

Eventually, I might become an independent o/o, but before then, I will spend at least another full year working under another company's authority. I plan on staying where I am until I have the truck paid off. That way I will not be making truck payments while transitioning between companies.

I might simply stop moving towards full autonomy once I get access to a load board under the authority of a large company.

I might finally get the patent I've been working on for years and make enough from it to give whoever I am working for two weeks notice before retiring.

Goals, goals, goals. Gotta work for 'em.

dwells40 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I did not make the switch to Schneider. Schneider was simply my first choice, and I have been considering making the move earlier than planned. The restrictions on Schneider o/o drivers are getting stupid though, from what I've been hearing. So my first choice is now Landstar, with JB Hunt in distant third.

I do understand that I am simply another way for Crete to make money. They wouldn't be letting me drive a truck under their authority if they made no money from it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I wouldn’t trust JB with my future. Not because I think they’re dishonest. Because they’re whole road operation is currently set up for extra freight. Ready to be cut loose at the drop of a hat. Their focus is on rail. Schneider, aside from a dedicated opportunity that works with home life. Still being subject to their decisions. Landstar is by far your best bet. About as close to independence without all the risk, your going to get. A little fine tuning, finding the right agents, and using Load boards, when needed, to get back to a particular agents freight. Will have more freedom, and get experience negotiating rates. That will be good experience should you decide to get your Authority.Regardless % pay always beats mileage. All parties have incentive. Mileage pay puts you on the short end too often. While the Carrier makes a killing on short trips.Even on a sliding pay scale. The pay rates are bottom of the barrel. Designed to ensure profit for the Carrier. Sometimes a so called guarantee comes at a huge cost. Since you not only are willing to work, but have to work, there’s no risk in being paid %. Honestly, the amount of monthly bills you claim to have, are so minimal, there’s almost no way you can fail. That’s no reason to be a slave to a major corporation. Once you realize that they’re no better at Trucking than you are. Actually worse, given the inexperienced dispatchers they hire, along with overloading them with work. Most only stay for a short time. Stepping stone in their Careers.Again not having your best interests in mind. Use your calculator. Even .10 cpm adds up to $12000 a yr. That’s significant when it’s all going into your pocket/ pay

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  11. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Were you able to keep Crete health insurance...at same cost of company driver..or something else

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.