Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    What? My gross was 4785.

My net was 2200, not including a 541 dollar maintenance escrow account deduction, but also not including taxes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Why you don’t save all this headache and time and just go straight for one of your 2 exit strategies.
    That is my honest and friendly advise . Or the third strategy will be to run under your own MC and do your own thing , so if you fail and you are honest to yourself, you will not have any one else to blame .

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    No, your net was not 2200.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So $1.30 per mile? No wonder when lease guys get own authority and jump on load boards, $1.80 seems like a gold mine for them

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    2209 dollars went into my checking account. 541 dollars went into my maintenance account.

My only maintenance expenses were a couple bottles of antigel and wiper fluid.

My pre-tax income, after expenses, was over 2700.00

If I set 30 % aside for taxes, that leaves me 1890 *estimated* net.

I am not foolish enough to make long term predictions yet, but if I put 1730 post-tax dollars in the bank on average every week, that will allow me to spend 25k on repairs and make as much as I made as a company driver.

The biggest concern here is the reliability of the truck. I have already been driving this truck for 250k+ miles. It has no obvious serious maintenance needs. I am a careful driver, keep my RPMs in healthy ranges, and do not abuse the clutch.

Does that mean I wont get a fun surprise major maintenance bill next week? No.

I might not succeed here. Nothing is guaranteed, but if you want to try and poke holes in my confidence, you are going to have to use a meaningful argument.

Mooseontheloose, AaronP and dwells40 Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have been a company driver 3 years. I plan on staying an o/o under Crete authority for between 1 and 2 years, if I do not hit one of my exit strategy triggers.

If I choose to stay an o/o, I might then go to a company with a load board and run under their authority. For a year or two.

After that, I may choose to run under my own authority.

This timetable is not guaranteed, or firm.

It is, however, my plan. We shall see if I can make it work.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  8. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Don’t let the naysayers and billy big riggers get you down. Keep doing what your doing, your making decent money with a solid company that has long term stability. When the spot market goes in the tank this year, the fools chasing that $3.00 mile freight will be going broke, and you’ll be making a steady rate.

JoeyJunk and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you.

For the record, though, I do not mind criticism. I am both cautious about important things, AND stubborn as a rock. My tolerance of criticism is far higher than my tolerance of incivility or idiocy.

So, I will listen to pretty much anything people want to say here as long as they stay civil and aren't utter morons.

That said, I do not expect a bag of gold to magically drop into my lap. I DO expect to work hard and I will certainly make mistakes. Very rarely will anyone start their own company and be financially successful without busting their butt for a couple years.

So, I am not a fool. My eyes are open. I AM giving up some potential earnings as an o/o under Crete authority. In exchange, Crete is handling a lot of the background stuff that an o/o under their own authority has to deal with.

joseph1853 and runningman0661 Thank this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    How is it decent money? $1.30 minus 0.45 fuel, minus 0.60 company driver salary (including benefits) and that leaves him with $0.25 for the truck itself.
    Let's take average 3200 miles per week. That leaves to the truck $800 per week. Minus the weekly loan payment, that leaves him with $380 per week, which is about $18000 per year. Average truck maintenance is $15-25k per year, especially because his truck is not a young baby anymore, he might face major repairs soon.
    OP is really just making a company driver salary. The only way for him to make decent money is to get lots of miles every week, take no vacations and pray that his truck does not break down on the road with $20k repair bill and a long downtime

tommymonza, mladen86, Opus and 6 others Thank this.
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have a guy who parks next to me in my yard. He has a lease purchase with PAM, also $1.30 per mile, comes home once every 3 months, has no life whatsoever, makes $50k per year, dreaming of paying off his truck, not realizing that when he pays it off, he will need a crap lot of money to keep it running, because at 500k that junk is gonna start falling apart.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.