Tandem Cheat Sheet?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by madmoneymike5, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SmokeyCowboy009

SmokeyCowboy009 Heavy Load Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Watertown, WI
    I slide em for the weight. and have not been bothered about the bridge laws. even run thru IL nearly all the way back and no bother..(ie 41ft) As long as your weight distribution is right generally they wont bother you.
    Dieselbear or scalemaster could give you better thoughts on whether what is better way to go...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I'd have to say that it isn't the easiest....maybe the most permanent...but not the easiest.

4. averyd

averyd Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2013
    pa
    im need to know the same thing ill put them where the weigh is right at and go the bridge / length law just pray at there all write :biggrin_2552:

5. averyd

averyd Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2013
    pa
    I put tanderms in the middle of tanderm area that's about where it is for all state but for CAL. @ Indiana close won eye and say looks good

6. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    The problem is that every trailer is different. I have seen Great Danes with 3", and 6" between holes. Utilities at 3", 4", 6", and 8"....and that's with the same company! The rule that I live by is that, if I think it looks too long, they'll think it looks to long. So I measure it before they measure it. Never had a problem...yet.

7. averyd

averyd Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2013
    pa
    can some one tell me what com. not to work for ( truck comp. )

8. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    To the original poster,first you need to know approximately how much weight each hole moves.
    .For example: when each hole moves approximately 250 pounds, you take the trailer tandem weight and subtract the drive tandem weight. Then divide that answer by 500 [twice what each hole moves].
    When the final answer is a POSITIVE number, that is how many holes you INCREASE the trailer wheelbase.
    .If the final answer is a NEGATIVE number [the drive tandems are heavier than the trailer tandems] you DECREASE the trailer wheelbase that many holes. Your weight will be very close to evenly distributed between the drive tandems and the trailer tandems.
    By doing it this way you will not run afoul of the bridge law.

pattyj Thanks this.
  9. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    The OP lasted posted on the forum a year ago so I doubt that he will every see your response.

Your advice will balance the weight between the drive and trailer axles but he could still be in violation of a states bridge laws.

10. Bigbellytrucker

Bigbellytrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2013
    there are sooooo many different combinations of how the tandems should sit in accordance to the weight that is in the trailer, and where its sitting in the trailer. since california has the shortest tandem law, just set it for 40' and carry on. if that happens to be too heavy on the tandems then adjust as needed. its what i do. after dealing with the final and get unloaded i always reset my tandems for the 40' mark. always. one time i didn't...that would have been a huge fine. luckily for me i went thru in the middle of the night and the only coops that were open was the one after grapevine and the one in cottonwood to the north.

11. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Nice threadjack there...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.