tandems and backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by duckdiver, Jul 31, 2012.

1. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    i rarely slid my tandems all the way back unless the reciever/shipper required it, only then would i do it once i was pretty much backed in. i was talking to my buddy the other day who just started driving and he says he slides them all the way back each time he backs in and swears its easier because the trailer doesnt swing out, might have to try this since im always paranoid of the trailer swing hitting and hitting the trailer on my right, anyone else do this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, but you need to learn to back with the trailer tandems in different positions. Driving/backing isn't a one size fits all answer. Tandems all the way back is really only usable when you have so much room, you can swing the whole truck 90 degrees. A lot of areas you deliver to, you won't have the luxury of that much room.

It's a good skill to develop, but better to learn to adjust your backing for different tandem settings than the other way around. If you don't, then you may get complacent about the tail and forget the front bumper clearance.

Good Luck.

Niteshay and otherhalftw Thank this.
  4. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    Listen to this guy he makes sense.

ewill71, otherhalftw and CAXPT Thank this.
  5. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    when i did my time as an OTR driver, i made sure the tandems were in king-pin spec. i would only slide them when the load required me to for weight.

currently, i deliver to the same place 5 nights a week in "Chinatown" Boston.

i have my tandems ALL THE WAY FORWARD, and leave them there for all my route. not only am i in king-pin specs, but the weights i haul are less than 15,000 pounds each night, so i have no weight worries.

i actually find it EASIER to swing my trailer where i want it to go with the tandems all the way forward. but this is MY RUN, MY ROUTE....your individual results may vary.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  6. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    I been in downtown Boston once at the convention center. But just like I do when I go to NYC I slide them all the way up. Other than that I have a 48 that there closer to the back.

7. HwyPrsnr

HwyPrsnr Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Anywhere, USA
    Try this in one of your yards and you will then understand what Im about to explain. Sliding the tandems all the way forward doesnt really help you backing up. It only helps when going in a forward motion. Its only an illusion backing up. Kinda like Jack and his beanstalk beans. It cant MAGICALY shrink your trailer. When your tandems are to the rear, you will alwats kno where the rear of yor trailer is. We all kno that is always a plus. When you have that swing, anything goes. Thats why 75% of all accidents in trucks are caused from backing. Thats a fact. Because everyone wants to THINK it shrinks the trailer. Sorry, thats impossible. Try it over and over in an mt lot with trailers and after doing it both ways about a dozen times and you will see what Im saying. Watch the 48ft a/r spread axles. When they dump the air in the front axle to raise it off ground, not the rear. Why? Think about it. Just try it out. Have a blessed day.

Knotme Thanks this.
  8. good for nuthin'

good for nuthin' Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Las Vegas NV
    CAXPT is right on the money.You do need to learn how to back with all different kinds of lengths.Some docks will be too low if you have the tandems all the way back, and some will be too high.Trailers even back differently with split tandems.the two best notions to keep in your head are these....
    1.No matter how good you are, you will eventually hit something(or come close).even the best of us have off days when an easy backing just goes all awry.
    2.Is when your backing,look and steer with the tandem wheels(like a forklift) but be mindful of the swing(and snaking) of the tractor.Your basically pushing the tandems(steering) with the tractor as the pusher.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  9. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Hwy you are right it does not shrink the trailer or the length of it but it does lessen the distance from king pin to tandems which can help getting into a spot that has no room in front, and city turns.

10. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    Hwy i pulled spread axles for a while and always had the dump for the rear axle. When backing dumped it would let the rear slide on the ground while pivotting the trailer on the front axle.

Caxpt, right on the money. I like my tandems set at the 41' mark cause it turns more like ar spread but ya get used to them all.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  11. JST

JST Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2010
    CAXPT is absolutely correct. I've had to deliver at places that force you to put your tandems all the way back before you drop the trailer and then you find out there isn't enough room to plug the hole. So ultimately I had to move the tandems forward again just to crank it in the hole, then get out and move them back again. Pain in the Butt!

Backing with the Tandems all the way back is easier, but you need a GIANT Parking Lot to do it!

Practice is the only way to get really good at backing.

Take Care and Good Luck.

CAXPT and chompi Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.