Tandems too far forward?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Nov 3, 2021.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I got a ticket on I-94 by a Sheriff Deputy, just outside of K'zoo for being 6" under length. As a former resident of the Communist Republic of Michigan, i'd never heard of being too short. When I drove for NTB, the tandems were always all the way up.

I asked him when they started that and he said he'd been writing tickets for it for thirty years. I called ######## on it, but whatever helped him to sleep at night was his business. Thirty years ago, you'd have been lucky to have any contact with any kind of DOT in Michigan, much less a Deputy. Now the ####ers are rabid. I won't set foot in Michigan with a truck anymore.

mjd4277, Rideandrepair and nikmirbre Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I live 75 miles north of Toledo. How many times have I ran all over East of the Mississippi without any problems, only to get harassed trying to get home. Too many to count. Ohio with their bad reputation are at least Proffesionals, and fair. Michigan DOT are equivalent to the Gestapo. What’s up with those Boots anyway? Lol.

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    They gotta make up that budget deficit somehow!!;)
    Without a doubt,DOT can be a bunch of jackbooted thugs sometimes!LMAO

5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    It's my understanding that CA KPRA max is so they know how to build the roads.

Longer KPRA would require a larger radius on the curbs in the cities. Also wider streets if you need to make a corner without taking out street signs and such.

Numb, Long FLD and gentleroger Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That sounds like a reasonable explanation especially given the fact that short doubles and truck/trailer combos are popular there for how easy they get around. It’s definitely not a bridge/weight issue though.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The real problem with running your tandems too far forward is a ground clearance issue. At a certain point the dot bumper starts scrapping the ground going in and out of driveways.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The problem is so many conflate KPRA and bridge law.

Back when running 48 foot trailers, it was possible to run the tandems too far forward and decrease the weight capacity of dual drives and dual trailer tandems under 68,000, or take the entire gross weight under 80k if you were running a cab over. To avoid these violations safety/training critters 'simplified' things by just saying "it's illegal to run too far forward " for the simpletons. Just like "steers can be a max of 12k" became commonly accepted because no one was specing trucks with axles rated for more.

Numb Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    How long ago was this? 3-4 years ago MI removed both too long and too short kpra restrictions.

10. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Don't go by holes. Not every trailer is the same. Especially if you have a newer one that moves in 250 pound increments.

41 feet to center is almost 3 feet past what THE COMMUNIST STATE allows.

If you're driving in THE COMMUNIST STATE and you are over 40 feet KP to CBA and you didn't get cited, you're really lucky.

And if you're overweight and caught at one of their 10,000 super coups after you get to legal bridge length, you will rework your load to scale legal before leaving said coup, even if part of your load leaves on another truck.

A mobile CHP in a regular cruiser will stop and cite you.
    They are experts, and it's low hanging fruit for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.