Tandems will not slide help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tmb0507, Jun 21, 2018.

1. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    So I have just had the brakes on the trailer replaced cause we thought that was the issue worked ok for about a week now it's doing it again. With the brakes set trailer will still move. Meaning the wheels spin with the brakes set. I'm not dragging the trailer it just keeps moving as if your driving it just with a little resistance. Any ideas what it could be.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Bad adjustment. Probably non functioning auto slack adjusters.

4. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    I've tried everything I can think off all the pins are released even sprayed lubricant on the slide bars. Trying to get out of waiting on the TA for 5 hours

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok.

You sit still with your tractor trailer. Set the parking brakes right? Brakes set.

Pick a low gear and gently try to drive off with the parking brakes on. She aint going no where right? She might even stall on you.

Now.

If you repeat the exercise this time with the TRACTOR BUTTON IN, parking brakes OFF the tractor and LEFT ON IN THE TRAILER, should you try to gently drive off you should be skidding your trailer wheels. That tells me your parking brakes back there are doing what they are supposed to do.

ANY rotation in your trailer wheels with the parking brakes or trolley applied full back there tells me your brakes are out of a adjustment.

Remember the basic DOT rules. You must have a parking brake able to hold that rig on any grade that is free from ice and snow. If it rolls it's not holding.

Take the whole thing to a shop have them go over the entire brake system with a eye towards adjusting everything so when you do set the parking brakes all over she will stay right there and not move a wheel.

That is what you want when sliding tandems. Rolling trailer wheels mean you are NOT going to have the friction you need (Anchor) to slide on those rails under the floor.

EDIT.

Get under your rails and eyeball straight down front to back under there. If there is any flex, twist, out of line or tandems crooked you are not going to be sliding them today.

Check all 4 of your pins when you pull the widowmaker bar. Make sure all your pins are in as in all the way in free to slide all around.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Sounds like weak springs in the brakes. When you say "brakes are set", I assume you mean the red button is pulled, at the same time all the pins are fully retracted?

Do you have air assist pins or a pull lever system? If pull lever system, then maybe using the trolly brake might give you more holding power (red button in, fully charge air system, then apply maximum air to trailer brakes, then try to slide) Note: You can't do this with an air pins system because as soon as you press the red brake button in, you activate the pin lock function.

If so, then maybe ask a flatbed driver if you can borrow one or two of his 4x4's and place them immediately in front or back of the trailer tires, then see if this will help stop the trailer from rolling.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    x1Heavy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Slack adjusters. most likely out of whack causing the brakes to go out of adjustment. I went through this on my fontaine and on a drive axle of my Columbia.

After replacement,.. no more adjustment problems.

Hurst

tommymonza, x1Heavy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I pulled a trailer that had the brakes adjusted correctly, but when I tried to slide it, it rolled. I used a chick, and the next time I slid that trailer, I was much lighter, and slid find.

I agree with @STexan , the springs have gotten weak. If it has manual pin unlock and trolly, then charge the trailer, and hold it with the trolly. If air operated pins or no trolley, you'll have to find checks or a curb.

9. BillyBigBoy

BillyBigBoy Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Birmingham, AL
    Or an older model where they aren't automatic.
    Tell him to chock up 1of his wagon wheels. Depending on which way he needs to slide.
    THEN GET THE #### BRAKES FIXED

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Unhook the air hoses to your trailer and try sliding it.

VIDEODROME and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    The biggest mistake I see when watching someone try to slide bogies is the tractor is not straight with the trailer. If not, you are trying to slide a trapezoid and are increasing resistance. The air brakes have much better holding power than spring brakes do. If they wont slide from a stop the roll out and pull the spike down, they should slide then.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.