Tanker Endorcement?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 6wheeler, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The other day I heard on the radio that a new law will state that FLATBEDS that haul even empty tanks will have to have a tanker endorcement. Anyone else know of this new trap that the DOT will be busting down truck drivers for?

jerryy123 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. da1

da1 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2011
    SC
    ive heard of that but not sure on the details had a friend of mine that is reefer said that they now have to have that endorsement to haul some loads they have

jerryy123 Thanks this.
  4. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Great... One more thing to deal with.

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    That's a new one on me. Unless it's permenately mounted, it's considered freight. Most flatbed tank loads are empty.

Some require hazmat if their is hazmat residue.

But who know's? The rulemakers have to justify their job and keep making new rules.

6. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    not sure if this is a new thing. i was led to believe , many years ago, that any tank over 1000 gals, freight or not , required a tank endorsement. johnny

Bill104 Thanks this.
  7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Tank vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. A commercial motor vehicle transporting an empty storage container tank, not designed for transportation, with a rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is temporarily attached to a flatbed trailer is not considered a tank vehicle.

Best regards

mrvolts, jerryy123, cuzzin it and 3 others Thank this.
  8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yes, liquid totes with a combined capacity of over 1,000 gal now require you to have a tanker endorsement. Been that way since last year. Don't believe it applies to empty totes, but since they usually contain residue, I'm sure some DOT will figure a way to make it apply to those as well.

And since it is a COMBINED weight, even hauling antifreeze jugs and paint cans now count. We had a newsletter sent out also that stated Texas and Lousianna are requiring the endorsement when hauling batteries as well.

mrvolts and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Great I think I now may be required to get my tanker endorsement. Anyone know if it applies to CO2 dewars as well??? They go by weight rather than gallons.

KH

10. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    The requirement for a Tank endorsement is not new, and is not a trap.

It also has nothing to do with Hazardous Materials.

Any tank designed for the transportation of liquids or gases with a CAPACITY of 1,000 gallons or more, if it is permanenty or temporarily attached to a vehicle, requires a tank endorsement.

Empty storage tanks, not designed for transportation of liquids or gases, like farm or industrial storage tanks, do not count.

Example: Empty IM101 intermodal portable tanks, over 1,000 gallons, tied down to a flatbed trailer. Even if they are washed out and empty, no HM present, they require a tank endorsement.

Always been that way.

Now the part about "tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more", that is new. That would include portable tanks, totes and IBC's. Again, empty or loaded, HM or not.

chalupa, skellr and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  11. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    SHC is right and I know I was told by my company that they (the DOT) have some complicated new tanker rules that were put into place at the first of this year. Luckily I already have the endorsement and its easy to get. I believe dieselbear was talking about these in another thread. I'm not sure about your situation Kinghunter but better off safe than sorry.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.