Tanker owner operators

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BruceWayne911, Sep 29, 2017.

1. BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Ohio
    This is for the tanker owner operators(food grade & hazmat). Is there good money to be made on the tanker side? Is there year round freight or does it slow down at a certain point? Where are the freight lanes(I live in Ohio)? Pros & cons of tanker? What are some good owner op companies? Cpm or percentage?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shir1

shir1 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2014
  4. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015
    I pull gas tankers in nv I think I make good money running under someone else's numbers I'm mt 1/2 the time so the round trip fuel mileage is good

spring summer and fall I'm home everyday in the winter time I'll see ya when I see ya

Not all companies are the same but where I'm at it's a smaller less known company that pays 84% we run on a schedule I've got the same 2 days off every week so the family can make plans

The biggest downside to being a tanker driver for a very long time is when I look at other places to put my truck my expectations are to high

blade, drodiesel, jfred74 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I think this is true for all tanker drivers, o/o or a company man. Lol

RockinChair and cjb logistics Thank this.
  6. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Im a company tanker yanker and just bought a truck to lease onto here and it will be hard going elsewhere if I have to. Tankers pay pretty decent and 90% of the time the customer is happy to see you and you dont get jerked around to unload or load.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  7. shir1

shir1 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Do you mind sharing with us the numbers of revenues and Expenses?

8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I will be running 68% of gross revenue of the freight charges plus 100% FSC and detention charges. I run both dry bulk and chemical tankers so the numbers bounce around a lot. Also my truck is spec'd different then my company truck so expense will be a little different. So I dont have any real set numbers but it all looks good on paper and Ive been trying to figure out why it wont be profitable for almost 2 years now so just pulled the trigger in July and the truck should be shipping from Denton Tx this week.

9. TylerVS

TylerVS Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Sully, IA
    I just completed one year with the company I'm leased to and I have enjoyed it thus far. I hauled propane and herbicide the majority of the time and the pay can vary. We are paid on percentage up to 68-69 if I remember right. Herbicide is longer haul in the spring and summer. I've never had a problem with customers. Hauling propane you rarely talk to customers because you unload into bulk tanks, drop your paperwork, and leave. For us the propane is mainly fall into winter, but some companies will haul lpg exclusively. I think a company like Ferrellgas would be a good company to try to lease to if you are interested in Lp.

Home time where I'm at just depends on preference. I just got back from a five week stint hauling a high percentage butane product, but I will start hauling propane around home tomorrow for corn drying. There are ag exemptions too for propane and nh3 that allows us to throw hos out the window during certain times of the year. I'm not sure whether that is actually a pro or con haha.

Cons: Propane is seasonal for me. Herbicide can be extremely busy in the spring and summer then just drop off completely.

10. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015
    I'll use oct as an example
    There will be 23 days worked this month I make percentage but I'll gross pretty close to 1150 a day

Gross 26450
    Expenses
    fuel 5000
    Def 300
    Insurance 1550
    Trailer rent 900
    Truck payment 2650
    Sales tax 235
    Oil changes 425
    Truck washes 240
    Meals and entertainment 300
    Cell phone 90
    Leaves me 15260 for all the other crap I didn't list

11. Zaros

Zaros Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Do they hire drivers? If so, out of Vegas or no? I have tanker experience in the Oilfields (water) but no hazmat yet. Would like to get my foot in the door for hazmat tanker before I even decide to be lease op to a company. I see Tanker being one way of owning my dream truck one day (pete 389) lol. Although the volvo 780 isn't too shabby.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.