Tanker - schneider vs prime

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nhbalt, Feb 14, 2020.

1. nhbalt

nhbalt Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Hello, I have my CDL but no driving experience. I am looking to drive tanker at least for a year and then get a more local position i.e. fuel delivery or something else.

Superior, Schneider and Prime all have positions in my area for new drivers. Superior is the best it seems but I don't know how long it will take them really to review my application as when I submitted it they didn't contact me or anything until I reached out to them and they just said that they're reviewing it but gave no timetable of what to expect or anything. So, I am looking at some alternatives in the event that Superior doesn't work out or I don't want to wait 1-2 months or whatever.

I talked with Prime recently and was surprised by how different their training is from Schneider. With Schneider you will make less CPM when you start, and won't hit 50+ CPM until after a year of work for them, whereas with Prime you will be at 52 CPM as soon as you drive solo.

At the same time, Prime wants you to go OTR for half of 60,000 miles with the other driver which will take about 3 months, and Schneider training is only I believe 5 weeks before you are driving solo. So big difference there. I don't really understand why Prime thinks it takes 3 months to learn while Schneider can teach you in 5 weeks. Is it worth it to make less CPM to avoid having to be OTR for 3 months which I don't want to do? Is Prime better in any material way? Just trying to figure out. I wish Superior was more like the other companies where they would have a recruiter call you right away when you apply just so I can get a sense of what's going on. Thank you.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    When you are new and not experienced, it is sort of up to you to do the follow up. Companies get applications submitted every minute. You have to make yourself known to them.

faux_maestro, AM14 and tscottme Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You will end up making more doing chemicals (Superior) than food service tanker (Prime), imo. If you are close to some tanker terminals, go in and talk to the terminal manager and tell him that you are ready to go to work. Face to face will help you to stand out among other applicants.

faux_maestro, AM14 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd push Superior; that's the best of those options.
    Quality Carriers sometimes hires new cdl grads from approved schools. Each terminal can choose to hire a new cdl grad.
    3512 Poole St, Baltimore, MD 21211
    Quality Carriers Locations | Find Opportunities Near You
    https://www.qualitycarriersinc.com/our-customers/tools/location-search/locationdetails?...
    Find a Quality Carriers terminal location near you today. Search over 100 company and affiliate owned terminals to find what you're looking for.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Stay as far away from prine and especially Schneider!!!

If you cant wait or dont hear from superior. Then try Trimac they hire cdl graduates.

And also I see you mentioned local. You can apply to some local companies now. Why wait if you dont want to be over the road?

1 yr of OTR doesn't mean that you will automatically get a local job.

Hazmat Cat, meechyaboy and AM14 Thank this.
  7. nhbalt

nhbalt Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Right I know. Even just a better regional job that I currently can't get due to a lack of driving/tanker experience. Thank you for Trimac though I have applied there and at Quality Carriers too so we will see.

8. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Where do you live?

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Spending three months in a truck with a 'trainer'. By the time it's over. You'll be planning how to kill him.
    Schneider don't allow intelligent life forms in the truck.
    I'd beg Superior...

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. WIlee81

WIlee81 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2019
    SE Louisiana
    Definitely hold out for Superior. I applied to them just before I started school at the end of September. Called them the day I got my CDL at the end of Oct. and didn't start until mid January. Should be finishing up my training by the end of the month and everyone has been nothing but helpful. Things are a bit chaotic with the merger going on, but if you stay on top of things and ask ask ask to confirm everything you won't have any problems. The only downside with the company right now is with the hiring spree trainers are in short supply so you may have to travel to get to one (I've got to drive 700 miles this weekend to get to my OTR trainer).

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would put ALL of my focus on getting hired at Superior. We have a long-time Schneider driver working for us. His complaint is there is a LOT of sitting and waiting. They do go everywhere, which is nice, but miles are not big and certainly not steady. Prime tanker you will probably wait and wait to get on with a trainer. Their tanker division is tiny compared to the rest of the company. There is a good guy John Ogren on YouTube that is a dedicated tanker driver with Prime. He has lots of info about the company. Watch his old videos. It seems like newbies click on a YT video and then start firing questions in the comments instead of actually watching the videos. He answers most anything you could ask, but YOU have to watch. He doesn't have time to replay the video in text format.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.