Tanker to ready mix

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Fold_Moiler, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    i am starting a ready mix job in a few weeks and have been driving tankers for two years. Didn’t see a ready mix forum so I figured it was closest to a dump truck lol.

I don’t think I’ll have a hard time figuring it out but a little advice never hurt. What tips do you guys have?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Well I’ve never driven one but I feed concrete plants with sand and rock and at one of them, they have a “Wall of Shame”. One guy had folded his back tags down when he was empty, and it lifted his drives up and he tried braking for a corner and went into a house. So I’d try to avoid that. Also I’ve heard some of them whip a new guy trouble because he poured a driveway that was downhill, and as soon as he was done he went like 50 feet up and washed out and all the water ran onto what the flatworkers were working along with all the road debris.

MartinFromBC and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  4. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Lol ok so water runs down hill and don’t do tag wheel drifting.

The water one is a little less dumb though. I could see just spacing out for a second and doing that.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Haha! Right. Pretty much those are the bullet points. But yea dude when they were givin the new guy grief about the water when I was turnin in my ticket I totally thought the same thing. “I could see myself doing that.”

Lav-25 and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  6. Caterpillar6nz

Caterpillar6nz Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Remember the golden rule you can always add water to the load you can’t take it out. Depending on mix I never left the yard with anything more than a 4inch slump if it’s more than that batchmen gonna add dry material no questions asked. Best of luck

7. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    I’m not 100% sure of this but I think at my particular location they load it for me and do all that.

This company is a customer of mine and a driver at another location told me where I work it’s already mixed. I just load and go.

I’m pretty excited, no more 600 mile days and logging. Not to mention it’s a HUGE pay increase plus free healthcare and all that.

MartinFromBC, Lav-25 and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    I work for a ready mix outfit in the summer. Park my rig and stay away from the nuts on the roads during summer, come fall hit the road and deal with the coming snow.
    As for as hauling cement, just load and go, let the layer deal with the slump if it is to thick, once they tell you to add water it is their load.
    Just save enough for a good clean up after, it is a ##### cleaning the inside of drum.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  9. Caterpillar6nz

Caterpillar6nz Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Yes that’s how it was at my plant it was a wet batch. Meaning it was already mixed and up to proper slump, sometimes though batchmen would slip or get lazy and load you with a 6 inch slump and tell you to go with it but if your doing curbs and stuff the mix is useless. Just always check and be sure because your going to be at fault if it gets rejected when you could have the issue fixed at the plant.

I’m happy for you concrete work is hard work but you get to see the final product when there done finishing it. And you get to point out to your family I poured this sidewalk or I poured this house foundation. It’s really cool I did it for 8 years but I could not do the 1am starts one night 6am the day back to 2:30am the next morning. That sucked big time but I’m happily over the road now where run how I want to run. But I always look out for concrete work because it is so cool watching the building and construction of things. Best of luck

10. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Thanks! yeah that is really the only thing I am not looking forward to. But since I have no seniority I will be starting the latest and the senior drivers start between 4-5 am.

I heard the learning about slump will be the hardest part for me. The rest is just driving a truck.

I really get no thrill out of driving a truck. I hate running out and back and sitting in the truck all day I feel awful when I get off. I’d rather work on a project and do lots of laps within a 20 mile radius.

Another thing is I never want to torch fittings on a tanker when it’s -30 again. I’d rather bust my ### and have winters off. They run winters here but I think 10 degrees or colder and you’re not working.

11. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    The mechanic I shoot the #### with already showed me a truck that the driver didn’t wash good. Haha I don’t want to deal with that crap.

The nice thing is you get your own truck so I don’t have to worry about savages trashing it. One driver has had his truck for 15 years and it’s still looking great.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.