Tarping

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kebo072

kebo072 Light Load Member

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    Don't forget, if you have flaps or a hood,to fold them inside the tarp before folding the tarp

and then roll the tarp towards the flap or hood.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Hmm, I never had one, so I didn't factor that in to the drawing. Good call, man! It would be my luck to do it backwards at least once, and have to turn the whole dang thing around after rolling out the wings!

4. kebo072

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    most of our tarps at roehl have flaps or hoods. I tell you what sucks, drop a tarped relay at a terminal and pick up different tarps and they are rolled up backwards............:biggrin_25510:

5. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Nothing bugs me more at Roehl than the tarps folded in thirds. Then there are those that are way off-center, but it's not as big of a deal. Now that it's warming up again, they can plan on me unfolding and refolding any tarps I pick up from a yard that I didn't fold. Trust me, you'll see me in Gary and wonder what I'm doing--and this thread will dawn on you.

Anyway, the most important thing to tarping is making sure you've already secured the load. There's nothing quite like thinking you finished a load in 25 minutes and then realizing you haven't strapped it yet.

6. kebo072

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    LOL!!!! first place i thought when i typed that reply.

don't mean to hi jack the thread but cmoore do you have a apu?

and if so how do you arrange you tarps in the side boxes?

7. dekok25

dekok25 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Stewartville,MN

I know I am not cmoore2004, but when I was at Roehl my truck had an apu. I would put the 2 lumber tarps in the shorter box (on apu side) and the 3 steel tarps on the other side

8. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I could only dream of an APU, but my truck now has over 550,000 miles on it, so I won't see one until they get rid of mine. But, I fold my tarps a little different than most people, but not in a way that it's going to be off-center when you lay it out. Most people fold each side in half twice--I fold each half 3 times, before folding one side over the other. I like them this way because they save space in my boxes and I don't have to struggle to make them fit on top of eachother. Instead of the tarps sitting in the box long-ways, they go in sideways and don't stack. Some with APU's say they don't fit in their boxes like that, some say it's the only way they fit. I've measured before, and I can't see a reason they wouldn't fit. Always steel tarps on left, lumber tarps on right.

And do yourself a favor when you're pulling the lumbers off--pull them off to the side you store them on. Might seem obvious, but I can't begin to count how many times I've ended up carrying them around the tractor.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Carry them??? Heck if I have to pull from the other side I drop them on the ground grab the rub rail and do a body swing with both feet into the tarps... I launch them bad boys under the trailer.. I am not carrying them bad boys no where...:biggrin_25512:

10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Does that explain your avatar? :biggrin_25525:

11. smoke896

smoke896 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2010
    N Illinois
    Still learning here. Just got my CDL and I am starting FB this month. Are the tarps ever stored behind the sleeper? I see compartments built into the headache rack on some trucks and was wondering how in the world would someone get a 150lb tarp up there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.