Tarping

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Musashi, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Musashi

Musashi Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017
    So what’s the true cost of tarping?My company pays me $40.00, and I know for a fact they get something out of it, too. So my question is for O/Os, what’s the true price, and who pays? Shipper or receiver? Both?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I generally get $75.00 to $150.00-200.00 as a O/O leased onto a company.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    stwik, 4mer trucker and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  4. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Wow...Guess I should be glad I have never thrown tarps as a company hand. My minimum is $150. If I have to get out more than one section it's $250 or $300.

I've gotten as much as $850 but that one was complicated and required lots of padding. Took 7 hours.

SAR, 4mer trucker and HalpinUout Thank this.
  5. Musashi

Aug 18, 2017
    Do you have your own authority? Or leased with company?

6. Musashi

Aug 18, 2017
    So still confused how it works.

If you have your own authority, who pays you the fee? Do you see the fee included on the load board? Do you negotiate that too? What if you negotiate load then arrive at shipper and they tell you it’s a mandatory tarp... do you call back broker and renegotiate?

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm company, so I don't see many load confirmations, but I've seen some. I've seen tarp pay listed at 50 bucks, and I've seen tarp loads that don't list tarp pay. It doesn't always need to be a line item.

You get paid for a pickup, a drop, a tarp pay, and mileage. The company might not bill that way. They are generally going to simply negotiate a set price for everything. On the other hand, they may have contacts that do specify mileage pay for a regular customer that ships to a number of different places. Those negotiations can take place in many different ways.

Many o/os work primarily for brokers, so the broker pays everything. With direct customers generally the receiver buys product from the shipper, and the price includes shipping, so the truck is paid by the shipper.

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nothing at all. Just your pain, blood, sweat and tears. Getting paid something out of it is a true miracle.

9. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I don't pay attention to the tarp pay too much because in my view it's irrelevant. If a load pays $4/mile on 1000 miles but refuses to pay me to tarp it or only pays $20, I'm not going to turn the load down over tarp pay. Conversely, if the load pays $500 to tarp it, but only pays $1.10/mile on those same 1000 miles, they can keep their load. In other words, as an o/o you have to look at the overall pay for any given load, the itemized things don't really matter much except to the customer's bookkeeper. That being said.... I've been paid as low as $30 and as high as $700 to tarp... the average landing somewhere in the $75-$150 range.

10. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I'm leased to Landstar

SAR and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  11. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Everything is negotiable...unless it's spelled out by contract.

I always try to get more money. Many times even if an agent advertises a load paying $100 for tarping I can get them to double it just for asking.

But as others have said it's all about the big picture...as long as the load pays right overall there's no sense getting hung up on details.

SAR and HalpinUout Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.