Tattoo Policy?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tcc_timbo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tcc_timbo

Tcc_timbo Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Might be a dumb question... But do Trucking Co. Have tattoo policy's? Such as Swift or Stevens? I have some on my forearms inner and outer biceps. Nothing vulgar, I am 22 recently out of the Marines, so when I was in and being a grunt, thought it was cool. Has hurt me getting some jobs since I have been home. And I hope it won't stop me from starting a trucking career. Thanks everyone for reading, stay safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steadytruckin

steadytruckin Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I am also interested if Swift or Stevens has a policy. I hope to be starting school also with one of them in September. Thanks Tcc timbo for bringing up this question, I wouldn't think it would be an issue but, you never know. Everyone be safe and try to stay cool out there!

Tcc_timbo Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I would not think it would be an issue as long as the tattoo's could be covered. If they are on your arms or legs, you can cover them with clothing. If it were me I would call any company that you are interested in and ask them. There is one company that I can think of that has a very strict dress code, but they don't hire inexperienced drivers. They even have rules concerning the length of your hair and facial hair. But, most people who work for them seem to like the company.

Tcc_timbo Thanks this.
  5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I don't recall Stevens having a policy when I was there.

Tcc_timbo Thanks this.
  6. walstib

walstib Darkstar

FTW across your knuckles or a swastika between your eyes may not be acceptable, but other than those, I've seen people covered on the road...

The Challenger and Tcc_timbo Thank this.
  7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Like my wife's uncle. But he's an O/O with a small fleet who could care less.

Tcc_timbo Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    While tattoos are more acceptable today, still, showing up at an interview displaying them might hurt you. I have tattoos on my lower arms, small ones. When I interviewed to sell cars, I wore a long sleeve shirt, just to make sure I didn't offend management. I have seen a guy get sent home from orientation with SMX in 2001. Sleeved up wearing a tank top. Get hired first, then show 'em off.

Tcc_timbo and The Challenger Thank this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    There is still a stigma attached to having tattoo's. One or two is not a problem with most people as long as it is perhaps on an arm where it isn't as conspicuous. It can become a problem with some companies when it is on the neck or the person has their body covered with tattoo's. Part of the problem is with the carrier's customers. Whether you agree or not, tattoo's do convey a certain message to people. I don't think there is as much of a stigma today as a decade or so ago, but it still exists. The same with body piercings. I have never understood why people will pierce their tongue, lips or other more "sensitive" body parts. OUCH!!!

GSWx and Tcc_timbo Thank this.
  10. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I will not work for a company that does not accept me as I am, and as a former employer I was more interested in performance than appearance (granted hygiene and clothes that weren't torn, ratty, or obscene would play a factor). I have a half sleeve cemetery scene with a grim reaper as well as an image of myself and my fathers tombstone (I buried him), just commemorates and closes a portion of my life. I also have a scene from Ghost rider on the top half of my back (Carter Slade and Johnny Blaze as ghostriders riding through the desert at sunset). I also have a 5" long goatee, shaved head, snakebite piercings in my lips, and a tongue piercing (the ladies enjoy that one). I also scored top 4% in the country on my army entrance exams and ran, managed, co-owned, and worked in a monument company and 3 cemeteries for 17 years. I play chess, blow glass, taught myself several tradeskills as well as building and repairing PCs.

Appearance isn't everything. If an employer can't get past it that's their loss.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

It may not be the employer. It could be the customer. We all only get one first impression. Most companies will not take a chance on sending in an employee who's appearance may be in question with the customer. The best thing is to dress conservatively, lose the piercings and present a neat and professional appearance. Both body piercings and tattoo's have become a little more mainstream in recent years, but there is still a stigma attached to both. If you don't want to do that, you take your chances. No company is obligated to hire anyone. If I had body piercings or tattoo's and wanted to work for a certain carrier, I would give them a call and ask their policy. The last thing you want to do is get to orientation and be sent home. I recall some years ago when I started with this company that a guy was sent home due to the way he was dressed and his hair. He looked slovenly. The company didn't want anyone to represent them that looked like a slob. I know it isn't tattoo's, but the principle is the same.

Lonesome, Injun and djtrype Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.