Taxes...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joesmoothdog, Mar 11, 2018.

1. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    ...got mine done today. My cheery H&R Blockhead informed me the $63 per day is gone as well as expense write offs next year. Anybody got better info than my retired McD's employee?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    in my situation i am home daily, so no per diem. in fact when i had jobs that had per diem, i never took it.

i make out better itemizing other important things like the interest on my mortgage, and other items.

next year, i may just go standard deduction.

yes, every little bit helps to get back my money, but to me, some things ain't worth it.

personally as well, i have a professional accountant/lawyer/financial advisor, over an H&R Blockhead part time employee.

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    on the plus side, the standard deduction doubles, so itemization for lots of people will probably go away.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Tucker, that's not a real cpa, he has no disclaimer in his signature line which is required nor explained who he is and what state he works out of.

ANY REAL CPA will put that stuff in their signature line.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well that's that then.

It was good while it lasted. And how.

No wonder. Ours for two people in 2001 came to #### near 14000 that year just in perdiem.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah but X, the problem is this - it isn't gone.

If you don't take the standard deduction, it is still there with everything else.

The only thing that I understand is gone is the deduction on non-reimbursed expenses which per diem is not. That would be say you buy air hose for your company's truck and they don't give you the money for it, it falls under that expense.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm afraid that's true. So I and hundreds of thousands of other OTR drivers and oilfield workers will be cutting back drastically on hotels and meal expenditures, just to try and stay even. That's going to be great for the economy

:biggrin_25523:

exhibitman03 Thanks this.
  10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    No more meals. I'll just live on whatever's hot on the roller grill and coffee.

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So, the life of OTR trucking starts to suck still more. This idiot and meaningless income tax law is going to make finding and keeping OTR drivers more difficult than it already was. But hey it sounded good. That's all that matters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.