Team Drivers ELD question

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by SirOmega, Apr 4, 2018.

1. SirOmega

SirOmega Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    hey all, my wife and I are thinking of taking up driving as we are retired now, my question is this whole new eld thing that is forced on truckers, can i log off into the sleeper berth when i am unloading or loading? how will this affect my drive time or will it count towards my 30 minute break?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You can log anyway you want but still falsifying a government document is frowned on by the mob pretty heavy still.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Hours of service did not change.

If you wish to falsify your eld you can. If you wish to falsify your paper log you can.

Of course you are just an eld hating troll anyway, and knew the answer.

5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It is only illegal if you get caught!

6. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    The sleeper berth is for sleeping.

When you are loading/unloading you are "on duty."

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    A team can log off duty when loading or unloading. (one team member) One needs to stay on duty. (legally)

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

No, there's is only a penalty if you get caught. It's illegal whether you get caught or not.

9. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    It’s the same as a single driver.

If you’re standing on the dock, counting and inspecting boxes - you’re on duty.

If you can’t take a walk away from the truck, relieved of responsibility - you’re on duty.

I used to deal with customers who would send us across the street for wings and pizza and call when they were ready. I didn’t log that as on duty. I used to back into a door at my customer around 1am, leave the paperwork in the mailbox and crawl into bed. He’d come out at around 11am with my signed copy. I never logged that as on duty, even though I was being unloaded.

If I can leave for lunch, play guitar and sleep while I’m waiting, why would I log that as on duty? I’m not expected to do anything, can leave if I choose and half the time I’m not even awake.

10. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Yes to your first question

And Yes it will count towards your break . The eld doesn't know any better

My advice : Show 5-10 min of on duty "check in at customer" then log sleeper birth until you're done loading/unloading .

Im assuming since you're retired ,you're not even lumping but just sitting and waiting anyway

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.