Team driving with a lease driver

Discussion in 'Prime' started by crocky, Jul 6, 2017.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm getting close to heading off to Prime and I'm going company driver. I was wondering about the guys that do team driving, how do they work the pay when it comes to the 2nd Driver?

I'm not at all interested is doing a lease for myself, but are there guys that will go 50/50 cost/profit with their team Driver? Is that something that is common or is the 2nd driver usually company and paid mileage?

I'm going in this looking to hustle as hard as I can during my 1st year. I'm trying to look at all angles on maximizing my earnings, but I won't go lease with my own truck. I intend to buy a used truck a bit down the road and will go o/o that route.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You new driver, team bottom man pay wise. If the truck is paying .60 to trainer (More likely a four figure salary so cents per mile irrevelant) you get the left overs, maybe 500 gross a week. In my time trainees got 200 to 300 at most. IF they were lucky. Sometimes Ive fed them.

Your first year is the most dangerous time. It is not to hustle "Hard" as you put it. It's to stay out of trouble if that means letting the herd pass you, so be it. So many people are seperated forever from the industry before 90 days for a variety of stupid preventable problems.

Western flyer and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't mean hustle hard like driving hard. I mean I intend to stay out making money as much as possible. I'm single, no kids, house ect.. I don't need to run back for home time very much at all. I want to stay out, earn and take my resets on the road and so forth. I just want to max out my earning potential my 1st year.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. swervyjoe

swervyjoe Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    It's $700 a week in team training. Or 14 cent a mile. Whichever is greater. The way i understand it, that comes out of the trainer's pay.
    You won't be doing resets if you get a dispatcher like I had. Keep running recaps until the end of time.

6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I know what resets are but what is a recap? I understand the training pay, I was meaning after that if you opted to team drive vs going solo. Is there money to be made that way as a team that would be better than solo company?

7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    If I am not mistaken, a recap is driving a total of 8.75 hours a day every day, then taking your 10 hour break. There is a limit of 70 hours of driving in an 8 day period.
    Therefore, a person who drives 8.75 hours a day X 8 days, hits his or her 70 hours, and keeps on going like this every day, for 8.75 hours.
    From what I can see in the forum, it works for some drivers, not for all of them. It all depends upon the companies, dispatchers, loads, time schedules, along with other factors concerning the truck driver.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

crocky Thanks this.
  8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    That actually sounds very good to me. I like to stay busy so the thought of being forced to do 36hr resets and so forth were a bit of a downer to me. I want to stay on the road as much as possible like at least 2 months between home time. If I could drive 8hr a day making good money that would be preferred vs getting stuck somewhere on 36hr resets.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im sorry, you are not going to max the first year.

Staying out is good etc. Just watch your expenses. Run each trip like a business. If it's 1000 miles at .50 it's a 500 dollar payday, take 30% taxes etc off and 350 remain, spend no more than say 60 for the three days you intend to run it. You don't need three days to do 1000. Boom money in the bank.

Many of the old ones who taught me stayed out almost a year at a time choosing to go home during winter and holidays where there is no money and no real problems fighting ice and snow. That was where we came in.

Dispatchers are your enemy here. They are going to absolutely abuse you fresh meat the first 90 days. Do NOT allow it. You deliver 1200 miles tomorrow morning 6 am. Or I fire you. You say one magic word......

\... "No."

No means no. And you will be ok.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You learn to live in the truck. 36 hours? Whoo hoo! Ball game time at the stadium downtown.... at least in Baltimore. Easy. See where Im going? It's YOUR time to use. Live it up. But Horse first saddle second and soldiere (That's you) last.

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm actually a bit more equipped than most people getting into this industry as far as living on the road. I've been living all over the US for the last 4 years taking various warehouse jobs while on the road. I'm coming from the Van Life so I'm no stranger of living a less than normal life, as well as going out and seeing stuff.

I'm however doing this and committing to a year as a company driver to get my CDL, some experience and save as much as possible. I just want to make the most out of my 1st year because I want to see if I can use truck driving as a tool to get me where I want to be.

After my 1st year or somewhere along the way I'll re-evaluate if I keep driving big rigs or move on but either way it's unlikely I'll be a long term company driver so I want to make the best of this while I'm doing it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.