Team Owner Operator Help Please

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ZArmstrong, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ZArmstrong

ZArmstrong Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    So me and a good friend of many years are looking to possibly leave our cozy company driver jobs and become team owner operators.

Question is how much money is there to be made??
    Can't seem to find much info on this and any advice or knowledge is much appreciated. Back Story
    I have been driving for 5 years and my friend 4.
    Our ages are both 26 with kids/wives at home.
    We are at a company right now that delivers to extremely tight areas/docks. Also we hand truck or pallet jack product so there really isn't a lack of skill. We are both at $23.5 an hour and will be at top rate $28 in a year+ overtime after 40 and average 55 hours per week. So in a year our salaries will be about 100k per year with per diem and bonuses. We are honestly clueless to the mechanic side of trucking.
    One of our company friends recently left to become an owner operator and uses getloaded.com. Claims to make more money than he ever will with our company.
    So main question is would becoming Team Owner Operators make more money and be a wise decision on our part?? Any input at all is appreciated, thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    if you value your friendship then dont do it. team driving can be great or can be the worst thing.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    $100k/yr? Stay where you are. You won't make that as an O/O any time soon. Especially if you have to have someone else do all your repairs.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Keep your 100k a year gig and don't have any headache with truck ownership. You will also keep your wife, kids, and friendship. Even if you were able to make 150k for each of you per year, would that be worth the cost of losing wife kids friendship? It would take a serious expert operation to even get in that range. You'd likely earn less than you are now even running like crazy. But hey - if a shiny peterbilt in the driveway is the goal.....then more power to ya..

Diesel Dave and ZArmstrong Thank this.
  6. ZArmstrong

Apr 24, 2018
    Should have mentioned that we have lived together for long periods of time, sorry.
    I guess I was naive about how much money can be made as an owner operator. I figured team owner operator would be insane profits??

Basically our company isn't union but seniority plays a huge roll in what days you work and where you go. We are a long ways off (8-10 years?) Till we can get a bid with weekends off. Weekends matter because all of our family/friends have weekends off. Also till we can get off runs that don't involve blindside backs in the middle of Philadelphia/NYC/DC/Baltimore/Pitt.

So we were looking to make more money and have a schedule that fits the above needs.

However just to recap it won't be more money and schedules will be even worse? Not that I don't believe those that already answered but this is honestly the exact opposite of what I expected to hear and it has thrown off our entire theory lol

Appreciate yall taking the time to reply as this plan now sounds like it would have been a horrible idea.

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Don’t quit your day job

ZArmstrong Thanks this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Schedule will be even more erratic than your current schedule.
    You would have to be grossing probably in the 600,000 per year range if you want the driver payrolls to add up to a total of 200,000 - if we use the quick and often reasonably close math of 1/3 to truck 1/3 fuel and 1/3 left for the owner.
    Then add the financial risk on top of all that.
    Keep doing what you're doing.
    Revisit this idea if your current salary is cut in half.

ZArmstrong Thanks this.
  9. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Teams can be decent money, If I were to do it I would drive a company truck so you don't have to worry about all the little stuff and in 2-3 years that truck will be plain wore out and worth next to nothing. I would call around and talk to companies looking for teams, never hurts to just talk, from what I understand a lot of teams primarily do drop and hooks or long runs. Good luck.

ZArmstrong Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    As everybody else has pointed out, you would probably be crazy to leave your current gig. Most company drivers don't ever reach that kind of income and taking a gamble and losing that much steady income is a huge risk. .Best friends cooped up in a truck 24/7 is the best way to ruin a friendship. Any truck you had would get double the miles of a normal truck, and since neither of you has a mechanical background, you're just one major breakdown from being out of business for days or weeks at a time.

ZArmstrong Thanks this.
  11. ZArmstrong

Apr 24, 2018
    Gonna close this thread once I figure out how lol but thanks again for taking the time to reply. Specifically Gokiddogo thanks for breaking it down like that.

Safe travels and God Bless

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.