Team Pay

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Dec 4, 2021.

1. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    My manager at Matlack set up 3 teams and they were the happiest people I ever saw until we found out that 'downtown' messed up and was paying both people at the full rate instead of splitting it...opps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Yes, we each make the same amount. It helps to get good accessory pay too.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  4. throwawayaccount1234

throwawayaccount1234 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I have done team many times, As drivers say whatever the amount is it's split in half between the 2 drivers but very rarely a company could just pay you for instance on the miles you drove at .90cpm and the other driver the same, normally never the case.

Team in my opinion is almost never worth it, I was at US Express and teamed with 3 different people, First guy could not stay awake would be driving and all I hear is OH #### as he is slamming the breaks, not to mention he ran the truck into a dtich, took out a light pole, ran over a fence, got 3 tickets in a week and hit something that caused a flat tire and hole in fuel tank. Before US Express finally fired him lol, Second guy was lazy, and third guy was cool but we just were not making any money there as they always gave us one good load to CA from PA/GA area then kept us floating in the LA/Fontana/San Diego/Francisco Areas, took us 2 hours to do 9 miles one time, Can't make money like that.

Did team a few yrs later with another guy mainly for a Fed ex Ground Contractor, We made decent money, but this guy again could not do nights and well he could do a lot of miles, he couldn't learn to chill, If I am in the back trying to sleep, you can't be slamming the brakes and laying on the airhorn and running over rumble strips constantly.

Did team one more time with another FED Ex Contractor, Guy Was nasty, kept his piss jugs and dip bottles in the truck, truck was filthy, never wore gloves so hooking up doubles grabbing fifth wheel, fueling, he would bring all that filth into the truck and wheel/knobs/buttons, again its almost disrespectful, when I drive so smooth and look ahead so I barley ever touch the brakes, never or very rarley touch a rumble strip unless construction. While he continues to hit rumble strips every 2 min with lane departure device going off every 30 secs, plus , he always had an excuse so I was driving about 750 of the 1200 miles we were doing on a dedicated run, yet still making the same while he gets a free ride. Also I am a runner, I don't like to stop, I will run till my hours are down then put myself on duty while fueling for 15min then go to off duty for remainder 15, so I can keep it moving as time is money, some people will want to stop every 1-3hrs again disturbing you from any sleep you might be getting as once the truck momentum changes you are gonna wake up. I was taking lots of sleeping pills and nitequill.

ON last dedicated run I was making $2600 a week, but in my opinion its still not worth it, unless you have a really good teammate that you can trust, and you both are on the same cleanliness level, as I like to shower everyday, and keep the truck clean as if its my house, and same work ethic. I would rather make 2k and be solo home everyday then live in a box smaller than a prison cell with another grown up, unless we are exactly on the same page.

More than most times teams never work long term, and places like mega carriers will say they have match program that only consist of a few questions such as do you smoke? Do you mind a Smoker? and Do you care what Gender? I have even known family like brothers for instance that have created a huge rift in their relationship because one wants to do one thing while the other wants to do another.

And yes in my humble opinion its kinda of hard to find a company to pay .90cpm solo, but a lot of LTL companies pay in the 70-80cpm and you could be home everyday, as well as like you said 80cpm is becoming normal in the OTR.

I think the only way you can see the real big numbers though is by getting your own truck learning some business sense and leasing under anothers authority that will take only 10 percent or so, while also letting you book your own loads from your own sources, and if comfortable with that and once you got numbers worked out and know what you are doing, you could get your own MC number, should prolly already have some connects and your insurance premiums will be lower.

I am not an expert and I also do not want to stay in trucking much longer, as I am doing better in other investments, but thats what I would do, and I am sure I might get grammer nazis as I am tyiping this fast and others that will criticize me, even though I am not saying thats the only way to go in this industry, its really more up to you and what your goals are and how much time and effort you want to put into this. How often do you want to be home? How long do you want to stay on the road? How much money and research do you want to do into this industry? Are you comfortable traveling through all Lanes of Country? Do you think you could sleep while team driving? How long do you want to be a driver. So many variables....

But DM if you want to talk more, I am always up to enlighten anyone that ask on my experiences and knowledge I have. Again these are all my opinions/experiences, so no need for anyone to get upset.

Stay Healthy and Safe. Good Luck

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  5. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    What’s it worth to wake up flying out the windshield after co driver nods off at wheel…Most the wrecks we see are teams.

6. throwawayaccount1234

Aug 16, 2021
    I can't go team ever again. First night with the last teammate, I drove OVER 800miles he only had around 300 miles to finish run. Guy hits deer and totals truck running off the road, not always a drivers a fault for hitting a deer sometimes deer run into side of truck or with fog, but this was a clear night, its because he was watching some fake girlfriend he had on another continent on his tablet. constantly running over rumble strips not paying attention.
    Never again, I am done with teaming for good! There is no company that I have seen that is anywhere close to what I'd need to be paid to ever go team again. lol

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Well I have no intentions of going team, just wondered how the pay works. I have OTR experience of 5 years driving refer. That's what I enjoy most is different routes throughout the US, I enjoy the challenge as frustrating as it can be sometimes.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  8. throwawayaccount1234

Aug 16, 2021

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.