Team training fears

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ChadB, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ChadB

ChadB Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    I been Thinking for some time about truck driving. I done quite a bit of research but one thing is really scaring me so to speak. Being stuck in a truck for 4 weeks with someone. Just not sure I can pull that off.

I'm a pretty solitary person. But with that said, I enjoy working/hanging with my co-workers but for only 8-10 hrs a day. I not saying I don't need the required amount of training, I just fearful I would not make it being 24/7 with just anyone in a small compartment.

Anybody else have this issue? How did you overcome it?

Thanks.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here is another thought to strike cold terror into your heart.

There you are finished your first day entering the joys of wyoming in a 2 foot snow storm coming up grade on ice across fort bridger with another 300 miles of truck shaking howler to go. There you are inside your bed wondering....

Now how am I supposed to sleep with this stranger driving?

Enjoy!

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t think you’re alone. Most Feel same way. Trainer knows that too.Hopefully you don’t get an ahole. I’ve heard some stories. If so try to ride it out if you can. If not maybe they can put you with different Trainer. Might want to ask about that upfront to ease the anxiety a bit.keep Bus fare $$ avail just in case. Lol. Don’t think too much about it just do it.

austinmike, Puppage and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you have any hesitation, maybe you need to look for something else.

TripleSix and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    If it's a natural thing, and it is, why on earth would you make that kind of recommendation? You do know that his question has been posted in the New Driver forum, right?

NavigatorWife and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. stblueberry

stblueberry Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2018
    i was only worried if my trainer would fart and the smell would stay around the top bunk ;)

tommymonza and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I know what you are saying but some can't adapt to having others around and fall apart.

I know this from experience.

I had a driver who was teamed with another, he was the one who asked for it and after two days, TWO days, he was calling me up and crying (literally) about being in the truck with someone else. He fell apart, I had to work to get him home, he could not even take a bus because of his issues so it was a hotel stay and then arranging renting a car for him to get back. I didn't hold it against him at all, I paid for his trip back home, made sure he had professional help (and paid for his co-pays) but he didn't recover because it was so so so traumatic. The driver who he was paired with wasn't the cause, it was this driver, he even said he could not handle being around others - especially in a 325 cubic foot box.

Yep I offered my advice, if he is worried, find something else.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If that driver fell apart so fast and couldn't even deal with finding a way home he had problems, serious problems, before he ever went to work for you.

10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    And you could have learned that much in a good interview or background check.

Expeditor Thanks this.
  11. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    Celadon would train you 4 weeks but two of those weeks would be with a local trainer (you get to go back to your room every night). dont worry too much when you are on the road. you would be driving + doing other duties for half of the day and when the truck shuts down, you just gonna go to sleep. two weeks would go by super fast before you know it (and also you will have one 34 hours reset which would give you time to maybe take a cab and go out away from the truck and the trainer)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.