Team training fears

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ChadB, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ChadB

ChadB Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    I may be somewhat misunderstood, I don't want to be a team driver, I'm talking about during company driving training which seems to run 4 or 5 weeks. When looking into doing something new I do not just dive in with my head up my ### and then quit and end up wasting everybody's time. It was just something that concerns me and was wonder how others react it and have gotten through it. I'm a loner type person, I've never needed supervision at any job I ever had. I usually can take the ball and run with it. BUT, I know I will need the proper training for this next step in my life, just a little hesitant about being on my trainer's nerves or vice versa.

I have a question, during my research of late, why is it that a number of driver think they are some sort of bad-###? There's people all over this world that do jobs and probably couldn't or wouldn't want to do the other job someone else has, so what? I've interviewed and trained plenty of different people over the years as has other co-workers and never thought to say go find something else when there was hesitation or questions from the new person.

Expeditor and rustyswife Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some companies that only require you to be with a trainer for 10 days. You'll have to attend cdl school first though. Schneider and also Watkins-Shepard will reimburse the tuition back to you. Not sure if TransAm will though.
    Watkins-Shepard
    Schneider
    TransAm

4. ChadB

ChadB Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    hope chinatown's and mine replies give you an alternative solution to your concern. good luck. dont let a minor thing like that to has an effect on your choice of career

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    rustyswife and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. ChadB

ChadB Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Yes really appreciate it!

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not the ###### as you put it.

When something comes up and 40 tons get loose fixing to smash 3 kids in the back of a stalled vehicle in a high walled construction with absolutely no place to put it and no room to stop with death and severe injury plural imminent within about oh... 200 feet, 70 mph and less than 4 seconds to smash. What are you gonna do huh?

That came for me one day in Akron OH in a interstate construction. Three kids trapped in a small jimmy and two parents up front. 4 cars next to me and Im loaded. Here we are. . . I was only 24. I went ahead and slammed the service brake knocked her to about 30 ish (I did not look too close as the 4 cars next to me popped clear, slammed the 18 wheeler into the left lane missing or even maybe rubbing that vehicle a touch who knows... I lost two wheel nut covers maybe it was that that tapped it. Smokey bear behind me was fixing to get his head cut off by my trailer's ICC Bumper (Decapitation bar under the doors) if he did not STOP FASTER THAN I DID.

If I stop can you?

Anyway, I wrestled the rig for about half a mile down the road and I did not know for sure if I hit them. My last visual was the police man stopped 10 feet behind the kids in that back window and the parents big eyes looking at me go by.

Yea I did what I had to do and frankly it worked out all around. What I wont say is that I shook so bad I had to have three drivers light me a smoke at the next truckstop and pour my coffee from the pitcher. Went out and checked the rig and found that the two little wheel nut covers missing from steer right wheel. Carefully examined the entire right side for any damage (New damage that is...) and did not find anything. Other truckers were teasing me Hey Child! You wanna buy that old rig? Lookit them there tires... ugh... It's their way of laughing off life and death moments.

Shake it off until the next time. But you think about that particular situation and you know now what your rig is capable of.

It was a different time then. I wont say life is cheap but people are killed everyday for nothing other than being flat stupid.

Ive said enough. I'll die a trucker and am glad to think I aint killed a human that I know of yet doing this for a living as long as I was able to get away with it.

This is not a attack post or any kind of heavy duty leaning on you. It's just that when something comes up you better have a solution and really fast. Taking time to think it through will get you or someone, or someones killed. There is no time for that.

It's a good day when you replace the tires times a few and the boss man asks questions a little bit about them. Oh it's that crappy pavement in that construction zone. The boss knows enough not to press the matter too hard. He will get ahold of his shop boss and hook into that Computer to examine any logged electronic stored data on severe braking, speed etc. That will tell it's own story.

At the end of the day, America runs on trucks. Without it we are not America and we do need a few badasses when the going gets tough. No nambypamby whiny sniffling crybabies allowed. That freight goes through, get going yer late.

Davidajhamlin1983 and Omega7777 Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?
    Consider tanker driving. Usually the training period on the road is relatively short. If you complete a private cdl school, then hire on with a tanker company the main focus there will be learning tanker work, not driving because you will already know how to drive.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Anticipation of Death is much worse than Death itself.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No nothing indicated any issues, he was in the military - not deployed overseas - and had no issues with the drive from Detroit to Atlanta with my manager. He didn't have any issues with driving alone back home and went to see professional right after he got there.

x1Heavy and REO6205 Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    OP I felt like u did. But I made the leap anyway. Then it wasn’t that bad. My trainer was a lot like me. We cracked jokes all day and listened to funny music for ####s and giggles. I learned how to chill out, complain about the company, other drivers, etc..which was helpful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.