Team training fears

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ChadB, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Davidajhamlin1983

Davidajhamlin1983 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Daytona Beach FLORIDA
    When I started in 99 I went with a guy training. I was Frank with what I expected and how I wanted to be treated. Showers music talking on the phone. Little things like farting or taking a piss while your driveing. I had 4 different guys before I found my fit for my 4 mo of training back then with two different companies. Don't leave the yard with a trainer untill you are comfortable with the situation. I have trained alot of guys over the years as well and the thing I see the most is oh I don't need this or I got this. No sorry you don't got nothing. Like a post said in here you have life and death on your hand plus everything else. It takes a little bit to understand the complexity that is really in this industry for all sides. Alot you learn on your own like going through Missouri and the rumble strips that help you with lane control do that for a few trips and you will be able to make it without hitting it. Or coming out of Chicago and it startssto snow. Your trainer is asleep. So you slow down and as yiu drive you see trucks all over that have crashed out on the snow. What ya do.. keep it slow lol it was kinda crazy I woke him and he says to me your doing 40 on the interstate just pull over and wait it out. See the clouds remeber how they look. Sure enough 45 min later we were back on the road. you don't realize what happens during the training. Take your time try and be open and ask questions and questions. Only dumb questions are ones never asked. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. And we'll always be here for questions along anyone's path that they take in this industry. If you luck out you will find someone that you will be a good fit with and have a blast..

Tazziee and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Reminds me of I-44 near say Voss MO. One minor detail. that snow bank on the shoulders. If you let the trailer catch it... it's all over.

I usually test a trainee with a minor request starting off, holding a gear as they finish a left turn. It's a tiny request. But if they do this... all is well (They follow instruction and things are looking up.) If they get unstable well... chances are if it is not resolved back to the yard they go.

Davidajhamlin1983 Thanks this.
  4. Davidajhamlin1983

Davidajhamlin1983 Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Daytona Beach FLORIDA

And I think guys forget that a trainer has no clue who you are or what you can and can't do. They have more responsibility than just the normal day to day. I know I have saved a few of my trainees over the years. I never sleep for the first two weeks or so. Just my own rule. Good luck OP

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    There is another thread with the experience another driver had. You will fall on the floor laughing, then change professions.

6. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    LOL...that one should be a sticky in the TR Classics forum.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    As far as I'm concerned, companies that team drive for training aren't creating very good drivers. If a noob is driving while the trainer is in the sleeper, what good is the trainer? I spent a miserable month training with a super trucker redneck hick who wouldn't keep his mouth shut for 2 seconds, but he sat in that passenger seat for the full month and monitored my driving, and told me when I was doing something wrong and right. We took our 10 hour break at the same time, and on our weekend reset, he went home and I got a motel room. Yes it really sucked being stuck in a small space with another person, but in addition to being a pain in the butt, I leaned a lot and did fine when I finally went solo.

8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Oh Heavy...:rolleyes: We all know. When you had a trainer. Modern hauling was with a 20 Mule Team

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Im a very solitary person and privacy is important. My training was six weeks team driving. I was worried, like any new venture, but had no doubts, I was doing it because I wanted to drive.

After a few days I was mostly used to it and became comfortable enough in the truck to pass the time. All except sleeping in the moving truck, it took me a couple months to get used to that. Even now when I come off home time it takes me a couple days to adapt back to sleeping while bouncing up and down and rolling back and forth.. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.