teaming problems

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by rpad139, Jul 15, 2014.

1. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    I have been with my second co driver for about a month now. We get along just fine, but his driving is starting to worry me. Its only a matter of time before this idiot gets in a wreck or hits a parked car. Like I said we get along, but he is too over confident with his driving abilities. He always says "don't worry I got this." And ends ups getting stuck in some shopping center.

The other day he woke me up saying he needed help. I wake up in the middle of a freaking shopping center with pedestrians and traffic everywhere. He told me to help him back up in the middle of everything, and I said "no way, I don't want to be responsible for anything." He then tries to make me feel bad for not helping, saying we're suppose to look out for each other. He eventually gets out of the situation without my help. Apparently he was trying to pay some bills and thought bringing a 53ft trailer into a busy shopping center was a good idea...not.Did I do the right thing by getting back in the truck and letting him figure it out himself? I did not want any part of that.

Also codriver#2 does not know how to properly merge. He tries to merge at the last second and forces himself into the lane at the last second. Does not know how to read directions on the qualcomm, likes to run errands in the middle of a load, grinds gears a lot, he gets frustrated realy easy. I'm really starting to get irritated. Its only a matter of time before he gets into a fender bender or worse...

I'm thinking about getting a new co driver but more than likely I'm just going to end up In the same situation....or maybe worse.

There are some aspects I like about teaming here at covenant however.

-you run a lot of miles if your not lazy and communicate
    -covenant has an open door policy with the office staff (yes you can walk inside and talk to your dispatcher in person, or even upper management.)....unlike cr england
    - my dispatcher is awesome and always takes time to hear us out
    -only have to drive 9hours a day when teaming
    -breakdown department always there and I have never had a problem getting something fixed.
    - you fuel wherever you want.... as long as its a ta/petro
    - dispatchers don't breathe down your neck.(at least mine doesnt)

Now if only I had a perfect co driver....that would make everything better.

double yellow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reuter19

reuter19 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I would change. Your safety is most important. Can't make money if your seriously injured or dead.

TequilaSunrise and crazw Thank this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    What happened to the 1st co driver??/

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    In my opinion you did wrong. You didn't want to help him cause it was a bad situation? Better to leave him on his own? Right or wrong you are still teammates and you should have been there to help him.

6. Fatboy42

Fatboy42 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Indiana
    You should have got out and helped him. You are a team, and there is no "I" in team. You may want to look into a solo driving job so you are the ship captain and make all the decisions.

Wild Murphy, crazw, Joetro and 2 others Thank this.
  7. crosscut

crosscut Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2009
    FL
    I was on your side the whole way.....until I heard you say>>>>

"The other day he woke me up saying he needed help. I wake up in the middle of a freaking shopping center with pedestrians and traffic everywhere. He told me to help him back up in the middle of everything, and I said "no way"

Really?.......Dude me and you would have been rolling in that parking lot if you didn't help me!

everybody needs some help at one time....remember that next time! It could be you asking...

Puppage, 91B20H8, Joetro and 4 others Thank this.
  8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    There may be no I in team but there's an m and an e

That aside. Get off your lazy ### and help him. My wife gets out and helps me everyday

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Im going to ask this with respect so please don't get all defensive.why did you not help him?Is it because you're not any better then he is as far as getting out of a bad situation?You and your co driver needs to work together,that's part of what team driving is.Both of you are new and your bound to make mistakes similar to the one your co driver made.Just remember what goes around comes around.Plz starting working as a team and help each other out.If he is doing something you don't agree with,theres nothing wrong with telling him in a respectful tone and visa versa.

Fire-Man Thanks this.
  10. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    SC
    Your soon to be ex-partner, if he has not already, will likely be posting the following on another forum during his next off-duty rotation:

Can you believe the jack-wagon I am teamed up with? I thought we get along great but the other day when I got into a bad situation in this mall parking lot and I asked him to assist me so I didn't hit anyone - he flipping refused! He just laid his lazy, no good, sorry excuse for a self in the rack while I had to figure it out on my own.

I'm actually kinda glad he did that - now I know I don't need him; and he certainly doesn't feel the need to be part of this team so what say you? Should I kick him to the curb?

Two sides to every story fella. There are two sides to every story.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You already know what the other half will say huh,lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.