Team's post here, PLZ!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SheepDog, Dec 4, 2010.

1. lydialonghaul

lydialonghaul Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Glen Allen, VA
    [QUOTE=" OPTIMUS PRIME ";1715227]Quick question if I may....
    How many miles can a team legally drive weekly and monthly?

How many miles does your team Avg and what kind of trailer are you guys running?

Thanks for the info
    O.P.
    [/QUOTE]

We average around 5,500 miles a week. Legally, each driver can drive 11 hours a day, so thats 22 hours a day for a team. If you log 65 mph for 22 hours a day that is about 1400 miles a day you can legally log. At that rate you will run out of your 70 hrs by the 6th day. But that isn't realistic...realistically...you have to factor in your day fueling, loading/unloading and other incidentals like traffic or using state highways. So, at Transam, when we trip plan we calculate our miles and time by 50mph....realistically somewhere around 1000 miles a day, you can do more, we have done more, but when we run 6,000 miles a week:biggrin_25525:, we run out of our 70hours fairly quickly.

We haul refer units, which means we spend time sitting at receivers waiting to be unloaded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. " OPTIMUS PRIME "

" OPTIMUS PRIME " Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Driver Seat
    Thanks for the quick reply, I've been reading this thread for quite a while now. I would like to introduce myself but I have already in the O/O Getaway Thread page, and I don't want to over post it. Please take a look at it when you can. The title is called "Think B4 You Jump".
    Just type it in the search menu above.

I think we might make the change over to reefer though, b/c of the short miles with flats. Besides I've been running them for almost 6 years now.

Thanks for the quick response..
    I use to work for them when I first got out of cdl school. T/A is a good company not one bad thing to say about them. I'm asking b/c I was told we could only legally run 6,000 miles per week.

We're in the process of becoming Team O/O's running under our own authority and I want to get an accurate response to the number of miles. This would help us figure out our expected avg. pay rate. Thank you for the answer.

However, I think we could keep those mileage numbers in the high 5k a week range or more as an O/O. Even though the pay might not be that great, we can make up for that with the miles.
    I really like the 50mph method you guys are using we will have to borrow that if you don't mind.

Don't really mind the waiting at the shippers, been doing it for a while now and I don't see why drivers have so many issues being a little patience. I just find something to do with the time, especially now with the internet and Slingbox.:biggrin_255::biggrin_255:

4. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    OP,,how are things going? My wife is talking again...LOL
    Just wondering how your team operation is going these days and did you go O/O?

5. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Thought I would try and revive this thread, again....

6. " OPTIMUS PRIME "

" OPTIMUS PRIME " Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Driver Seat
    lol, I know what you mean.:biggrin_2559: Sorry it took so long to respond, just been busy packing up the house trying to move out.

As for our operation, we decided to wait till this comming spring to hit the road so we could save more money and rent the house out while we are gone. But I have been doing allot more intense research lately and I really been learning allot more. I think I maybe obsessed with this website:biggrin_2559:lol.

:yes2557::yes2557: and so you did:biggrin_25525:
    O.P.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    I think this is the best way really; I suggested this to my teammate when we first started (to no avail) cause you always have to stop; be it for food, fuel or going to the rest room and then you have loading and unloading/ drop and hooking, etc etc... now we've fallen into that naturally. He's more of a night person than I am so now we're sort of in the 7 to 7 range, sometimes varying 6 to 6 or 8 to 8. But I also wanted to add that, for instance, if you get into teaming with a person who's, for instance, a night person and you're a night person or vice versa; it ain't gonna work out man; cause it's tough enough to sleep with that darn truck moving and even if you are able to sleep, the sleep that you do get is not a sound sleep; so both you and your partner need to be at your sharpest when behind the wheel, which by being awake during your natural hours helps out a lot. Teaming's tough; I hate it, but at least I got a "good" partner. 5 more months!!!

8. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Hello friend,, wife and I are teaming at USXpress and doing great! We had 5200mi last week and 6000 this week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

9. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Awesome; glad you like it, how much are paid by the mile there in USXpress if you don't mind me asking?

10. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    So sorry for not responding quicker...
    Teams are paid .48 per mile and the .48 is split,,,,if both have hazmat...
    My wife doesn't have hazmat, yet and I make .24 and she makes .23... the pay is split, not the miles and if you do the math on various miles per week, it works out pretty good for a team, especially a husband/wife team....

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  11. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    how about team planning? team planning at PAMela doesn't seem very organized

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.